What is the current experimental evidence for quantum trajectory theory?

In summary, a recent experimental confirmation of the quantum trajectory theory suggests that the theory could be relevant to the Neumaier's theory.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Discussion of quantum trajectory theory and recent experimental results related to it.
Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
Recent experimental confirmation of the quantum trajectory theory

Does anyone have a link to the actual paper? As usual with science journalists, the Quanta article doesn't reference the actual paper, and such articles often make things seem far more sensational than they actually are.

Likes dextercioby
Likes Demystifier
PeterDonis said:
Does anyone have a link to the actual paper? As usual with science journalists, the Quanta article doesn't reference the actual paper, and such articles often make things seem far more sensational than they actually are.
This is the preprint, I guess: https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.00545

Demystifier said:
PeterDonis said:
It is the paper already discussed in depth here on PF. Quantum jumps in simple quantum systems have long been experimentally observed and pose a challenge to a pure ensemble interpretation, but not to the thermal interpetation, where states are associated with single quantum systems.

A. Neumaier said:
Quantum jumps in simple quantum systems have long been experimentally observed and pose a challenge to a pure ensemble interpretation
What do you mean by pure ensemble interpretation? The interpretation by Ballentine?

Is there a reference that explains what "quantum trajectory theory" is? I see it referred to in some of these papers, but none of them explain what it actually is.

• Informative
Likes atyy, Demystifier and vanhees71
Demystifier said:
What do you mean by pure ensemble interpretation? The interpretation by Ballentine?
Any interpretation that postulates (rather than claims ignorance) that quantum mechanics says nothing about individual systems but is only about ensembles ofsimilarly prepared systems.

Thus vanhees71's view, Ballentine's book (but not his 1970 article, which compromises and is not pure), Peres' book (Peres, however, admits reservations about its application to macroscopic systems).

Likes Demystifier
I don’t really get why the so-called “Ensemble Interpretation” is repeatedly discussed on this forum. The Ensemble Interpretation suffers from a severe inconsistency as it refuses to answer a simple physical question. As Abner Shimony remarks in “Symposia on the Foundations of Modern Physics 1992 - The Copenhagen Interpretation and Wolfgang Pauli” (edited by K. V. Laurikainen and C. Montonen):

“There is, for example, Ballentine, whom I mentioned yesterday. He says: ‘I am not a hidden variable theorist, I am only saying that quantum mechanics applies not to individual systems but to ensembles.’ I didn't put this down separately because I simply do not understand that position. Once you say that the quantum state applies to ensembles and the ensembles are not necessarily homogeneous you cannot help asking what differentiates the members of the ensembles from each other. And whatever are the differentiating characteristics those are the hidden variables. So I fail to see how one can have Ballentine's interpretation consistently. That is, one can always stop talking and not answer questions, but that is not the way to have a coherent formulation of a point of view. But to carry out the coherent formulation of a point of view, as I think Einstein had in mind, you certainly have to supplement the quantum description with some hypothetical extra variables.”

Likes atyy and Demystifier
PeterDonis said:
Theres a paper in Nature (who gave fotunately up to forbid preprints recently!):

https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.00545

but also the entire thesis of the first author on arXiv:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1902.10355

If somebody is interested in a version with a readable font and usual single-spaced lines, contact me. I made the (small) effort to download the LaTeX sources and reformatted it ;-)).

I've not found the time to study it thoroughly enough to comment on it. It's not clear to, whether this is a new theory or QT applied to the system+measurement device, describing the interaction between the system and measurement device as an effective stochastic process, i.e., a specific application of the theory of open quantum systems. If I understood the enigmatic popular-science article at the quantummagazine site correctly it's the latter type. Also the paper cited in #9 seems to say right that.

If that's the case, I don't see where this should contradict in any way the minimal interpretation, but let's not get into this debate again.

Last edited:
Lord Jestocost said:
I don’t really get why the so-called “Ensemble Interpretation” is repeatedly discussed on this forum. The Ensemble Interpretation suffers from a severe inconsistency as it refuses to answer a simple physical question. As Abner Shimony remarks in “Symposia on the Foundations of Modern Physics 1992 - The Copenhagen Interpretation and Wolfgang Pauli” (edited by K. V. Laurikainen and C. Montonen):

“There is, for example, Ballentine, whom I mentioned yesterday. He says: ‘I am not a hidden variable theorist, I am only saying that quantum mechanics applies not to individual systems but to ensembles.’ I didn't put this down separately because I simply do not understand that position. Once you say that the quantum state applies to ensembles and the ensembles are not necessarily homogeneous you cannot help asking what differentiates the members of the ensembles from each other. And whatever are the differentiating characteristics those are the hidden variables. So I fail to see how one can have Ballentine's interpretation consistently. That is, one can always stop talking and not answer questions, but that is not the way to have a coherent formulation of a point of view. But to carry out the coherent formulation of a point of view, as I think Einstein had in mind, you certainly have to supplement the quantum description with some hypothetical extra variables.”
I would say that the ensemble interpretation adherents just feel that minimalism is more important than consistency. They, of course, do think that QM has something to say about individual systems, but they also sometimes deny that QM has something to say about individual systems. The denial is their strategy to escape from the occasional need to say something more specific about individual properties, beceause if they said something more specific they would ruin the ideal of minimalism.

Likes Lord Jestocost
Well, then you get into the discussion what's the meaning of probabilities for individual events and a battle between "frequentists" and "Bayesianists". A great read, I stumbled over yesterday, is this:

http://www.phy.pku.edu.cn/~qhcao/resources/class/QM/PTO000070.pdf

Likes weirdoguy and Demystifier

1. What is quantum trajectory theory?

Quantum trajectory theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of quantum systems. It is based on the idea that a quantum system can be described by a set of possible trajectories, each of which represents a possible evolution of the system.

2. How is quantum trajectory theory different from other quantum theories?

Quantum trajectory theory differs from other quantum theories, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, in that it allows for the possibility of continuous measurement and observation of a quantum system. It also provides a more intuitive understanding of the behavior of quantum systems.

3. What is the current experimental evidence for quantum trajectory theory?

There is currently a growing body of experimental evidence that supports the predictions of quantum trajectory theory. This includes experiments involving quantum jumps, continuous measurement, and quantum feedback control.

4. How does quantum trajectory theory explain the collapse of the wave function?

According to quantum trajectory theory, the collapse of the wave function occurs when a quantum system interacts with its environment or is continuously measured. The system then follows one of its possible trajectories, resulting in the observed measurement outcome.

5. What are some potential applications of quantum trajectory theory?

Quantum trajectory theory has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum control. It also has implications for understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as biological systems, at the quantum level.