Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Quark and anti quark neutral particles question

1. Sep 16, 2016 #1
    Hi there ppl!
    I have a question !
    I learned that neutral miuon ( μ0) is made of a quark and his anti quark (can't remember which) which explains it's very little lifetime(around 10-24s if i'm not wrong).
    Now i wonder how two particles ,that are meant to destroy each other,form for a little time another particle with it's own characteristics?
    Have a nice day!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2016 #2
  4. Sep 16, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no particle called "miuon" and no particle with the symbol μ0.

There is a muon (μ- or μ+), it is charged and has a lifetime of microseconds, there is muonium (a bound state of proton and muon), and there is "true muonium" (not yet seen), a bound state of muon and antimuon. None of those are made out of quark plus antiquark, because the muon has nothing to do with quarks.

See the links posted by nikkom for quark/antiquark bound states. They are all very short-living.

5. Sep 16, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You learned wrong, I am afraid. There is no such particle.

6. Sep 16, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

7. Sep 16, 2016 #6
    A meson with lifetime in units of 10-24 s is ρ0.

8. Sep 16, 2016 #7
    yes i was talking about the π0 sorry for the confusion!!

9. Sep 16, 2016 #8
  10. Sep 17, 2016 #9

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Quarkonia are mesons, i.e., the bound state of a quark and an antiquark. Usually one talks about "quarkonia" in the case of the heavy-quark case, i.e., charm and bottom bound states like the ##J/\psi## and ##\Upsilon##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted