Quarter-wave plates and Half-wave plates

In summary: T]=[1][2].In summary, When two quarter-wave plates are placed in series, the Jones matrices can be multiplied to determine the resulting phase shift. The order in which the plates are multiplied matters, as it affects the resulting system matrix.
boby96
Hi, I am aware that quater-wave plates create a phase shifts of λ / 4 between the fast and slow transmission axis. My question is what happens if we place two quater-wave plates in series so that there is 0 degrees between the fast transmission axis and how would result change if they where placed in series so that there is 90 degrees between fast transmission axis?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question?

boby96 said:
Hi, I am aware that quater-wave plates create a phase shifts of λ / 4 between the fast and slow transmission axis. My question is what happens if we place two quater-wave plates in series so that there is 0 degrees between the fast transmission axis and how would result change if they where placed in series so that there is 90 degrees between fast transmission axis?

Thanks,

Just multiply the Jones matrices and you will find the answer.

Drakkith said:
Is this a homework question?
No, just that I have covered normal polarisers in series and know how to predict outcome. So was curious if there was any easy and intuitive way of combing quarter wave plates together.

Andy Resnick said:
Just multiply the Jones matrices and you will find the answer.
Thanks, does it matter in what order i multiply them in?

boby96 said:
Thanks, does it matter in what order i multiply them in?

Yes, because they are matrices. If the light first goes through retarder '1', then the system matrix is [T]=[2][1]

1. What is a quarter-wave plate?

A quarter-wave plate is a type of optical device that is used to alter the polarization of light. It is made up of a birefringent material, which has two different indices of refraction for light of different polarizations. This causes the light passing through the plate to become circularly polarized.

2. How does a quarter-wave plate work?

A quarter-wave plate works by taking linearly polarized light and converting it into circularly polarized light. This is achieved by causing the light to travel different distances in the birefringent material, resulting in a phase difference of one quarter of a wavelength between the two polarizations. This creates circularly polarized light as the two polarizations combine.

3. What is the difference between a quarter-wave plate and a half-wave plate?

The main difference between a quarter-wave plate and a half-wave plate is the amount of phase difference they create between the two polarizations of light passing through them. A quarter-wave plate creates a phase difference of one quarter of a wavelength, while a half-wave plate creates a phase difference of one half of a wavelength. This results in different effects on the polarization of light passing through the plates.

4. What are some applications of quarter-wave and half-wave plates?

Quarter-wave and half-wave plates have various applications in science and technology. They are commonly used in optical systems to manipulate the polarization of light, which is useful for controlling the output of lasers, creating 3D images, and reducing glare in optical instruments. They are also used in telecommunications, astronomy, and microscopy.

5. Can a quarter-wave or half-wave plate be used with any type of light?

No, quarter-wave and half-wave plates are only effective with linearly polarized light. If the incident light is unpolarized or circularly polarized, the plates will not have any effect on its polarization. It is important to consider the type of light being used when selecting a wave plate for a specific application.