1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quartic eqn solutions for Cos/Sin

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

I am looking for a special case solution to the quartic equation x^4 + a x^3 + b x^2 + c x + d = 0 in the case where x = Cos[theta]. Are there are any special properties of the solutions? For example, I know there are numerous properties from Vieta's formula but none of these really help simplify things if x=cosine.

Natski

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends on what you want to do, I suppose. The half-angle identity
    [tex]\cos^2a=\frac{1+\cos(2a)}{2}[/tex]
    could reduce the degree, but at the cost of introducing cosines of different arguments. This may have been what you were referring to as not useful, though; I'm not sure.

4. Mar 5, 2010 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I don't see how it can be considered much of a special case if [itex]x=cos\theta[/itex]. All you're saying here is that [itex]-1\leq x\leq 1[/itex] which really doesn't help a great deal.

5. Mar 5, 2010 #4

disregardthat

Science Advisor

[tex]x=cos(\theta)[/tex] is algebraic if [tex]\theta[/tex] is a rational multiple of pi. I.e. it is the zero of a polynomial of integer coefficients.

It can be shown that if [tex]\theta[/tex] is not a rational multiple of pi, then [tex]x=cos(\theta)[/tex] is transcendental and thus not the solution of any polynomial of algebraic coefficients.

6. Mar 5, 2010 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know... if the equation was [itex]2ax^2-1=2a\cos^2(\theta)-1[/itex], I would consider [itex]\cos(2\theta)[/itex] a simplification.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook