Help Solving a Quartic Polynomial

• Thread starter DuncanM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation arccos(Y) = arctan(Y), where Y = 1/x, which can be rewritten as a quartic equation. The individual is struggling to simplify it further and is seeking assistance. It is suggested to set u = x^2 and solve for the roots in u, which can then be used to solve for the roots in x. The individual expresses gratitude for the help.
DuncanM
I am trying to solve an equation:

arccos(Y) = arctan(Y), where Y = 1/x

This turns into a quartic equation:

x4 - x2 - 1 = 0

It looks simple enough to simplify further; however, I must be having a brain-fart because I can't do it. I'd like to avoid resorting to a numerical solution.

Am I overlooking something?
Can this equation be simplified further? If so, how?

Any help is much appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Setting [itex]u = x^2[/itex], you can rewrite it as [itex]u^2 - u - 1 = 0[/itex]. You can solve this easily enough for the roots in u, and then solve the roots for x.

Excellent!

Thank-you very much!

What is a quartic polynomial?

A quartic polynomial is a polynomial with a degree of four, meaning it has four terms that are raised to various powers.

What is the general form of a quartic polynomial?

The general form of a quartic polynomial is ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is the variable.

How do I solve a quartic polynomial?

To solve a quartic polynomial, you can use the quadratic formula or the quartic formula. Additionally, you can factor the polynomial or use synthetic division to find its roots.

What are the possible number of solutions for a quartic polynomial?

A quartic polynomial can have either two, four, or zero real solutions. This is because it can have up to four complex roots, but they always occur in conjugate pairs, resulting in either two or zero real solutions.

What are some real-world applications of quartic polynomials?

Quartic polynomials are commonly used in physics and engineering to model situations involving acceleration and motion, such as the motion of projectiles or the behavior of springs. They are also used in economics to analyze supply and demand curves.