Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Query on explanation for electromagnetic field - Feynman lectures on physics

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    In 2-5, an analogy is given for electromagnetic field: two corks in water, and the effect of jiggling one cork on the other (probably the up and down motion).

Now, that sounded more like water is a medium propagating the energy. But the electromagnetic waves require no medium for propagation, right?

I know, this is an analogy from the introductory chapters. But am I interpreting this wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2
    I just started reading the Feynman lectures myself. No, EM radiation requires no medium. What I think Feynman is trying to get across here is that there is a time delay in the reaction of one cork to the motion of the other. This demonstrates that the speed of light (or equivalently, of propagation of changes in an E or B field) is finite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook