1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Query on explanation for electromagnetic field - Feynman lectures on physics

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    In 2-5, an analogy is given for electromagnetic field: two corks in water, and the effect of jiggling one cork on the other (probably the up and down motion).

Now, that sounded more like water is a medium propagating the energy. But the electromagnetic waves require no medium for propagation, right?

I know, this is an analogy from the introductory chapters. But am I interpreting this wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2
    I just started reading the Feynman lectures myself. No, EM radiation requires no medium. What I think Feynman is trying to get across here is that there is a time delay in the reaction of one cork to the motion of the other. This demonstrates that the speed of light (or equivalently, of propagation of changes in an E or B field) is finite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook