Query on physics of a tennis ball

In summary, a ball of energy is created when it is held at a certain height and then dropped. This energy turns into different energies when it is heated. Pressure affects how much the ball bounces.
Confuzzled
As title reads...
In my As physics class today the topic of this arrived, which has been annoying me ever since, i am hoping you may be able to help, as hours of searching the internet i have failed. :(

I understand that when a ball is held at a certain height that it has stored energy, GPE. And when this ball is dropped this energy turns into Kinetic Energy, my query is on what is the energy, at the point it hits the ground? I would assume elastic energy, but am unclear.

Also if this said ball was to be heated, I it would bounce a higher distance due to temperature being proportional to pressure? And pressure being the answer to how much something would bounce? But why is this? What does pressure do to the insides of that tennis ball?

Thanks Confuzzled

Physics news on Phys.org
As the ball is falling, the gPE 'turns' into Kinetic, Heat and Sound energies (albeit, the last two are slight in comparison).

Similarly, when the ball hits the ground, it 'loses' Kinetic energy to more heat and sound, and indeed as you said ePE.

Conservation of energy means that the ball will not bounce higher than the height you dropped it from, unless you some how superheated it during it's fall.

The question about pressure is interesting; think about it in your every day life. A poorly inflated basketball does not bounce nearly as well as a well inflated one, why?

The answer relates to your first question, I think. We can easily analyze the fall of the tennis ball as a straight conversion between gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy. However, when the ball hits the ground KE is zero and PE is zero, so how can it bounce back? The ball behaves (roughly) like a spring in that it is compressed and stores energy, which it releases and bounces back up. However, a tennis ball is by no means a perfect spring so the more the compression, the greater the loss of energy due to heat, sound, and other external factors.

So, when you have a tennis ball with high internal pressure, as it hits the ground it has a much higher "spring constant", i.e it will compress far less and thus suffers less loss due to external factors and will bounce back with a height closer to that of the original.

Hope this makes sense!
Cheers

1. How does the mass of a tennis ball affect its trajectory?

The mass of a tennis ball affects its trajectory by determining the amount of force needed to propel it through the air. A heavier ball requires more force to move it, resulting in a lower trajectory. On the other hand, a lighter ball requires less force and will have a higher trajectory.

2. What is the ideal air pressure for a tennis ball?

The ideal air pressure for a tennis ball is between 12 and 14 psi (pounds per square inch). This level of air pressure allows the ball to have a good bounce and maintain its shape during play. A lower air pressure can result in a slower and less lively ball, while a higher air pressure can make the ball too bouncy and difficult to control.

3. How does the surface of a tennis ball affect its speed?

The surface of a tennis ball can greatly affect its speed. A rough surface creates more friction with the air, causing the ball to slow down. On the other hand, a smooth surface allows the ball to move through the air with less resistance, resulting in a faster speed.

4. What is the difference between a pressurized and non-pressurized tennis ball?

A pressurized tennis ball has a hollow core filled with air, while a non-pressurized ball does not. This results in a pressurized ball having a higher bounce and faster speed, while a non-pressurized ball has a lower bounce and slower speed. Non-pressurized balls are typically used for recreational play, while pressurized balls are used in professional tournaments.

5. How does the temperature affect the performance of a tennis ball?

The temperature can greatly affect the performance of a tennis ball. In colder temperatures, the ball becomes less bouncy and can feel heavier, making it more difficult to play with. In hotter temperatures, the ball can become overly bouncy and difficult to control. The ideal temperature for a tennis ball is around 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit.