Question about a beam of light

In summary, white light is a combination of electromagnetic waves of different wavelengths. This means there are an infinite number of wavelengths in visible light, which can be compared to infinite numbers between two numbers in math. The physical translation is that light can have an infinite range of frequencies. However, photons only come into play when the light hits something. All waves follow the wave equation, which has the property of linearity. This means that any waveform can be broken down into a combination of single-wavelength waves, which is how a beam of white light is produced. This leads to an infinite number of wavelengths in white light and produces a continuous spectrum when passed through a prism.
Mosio
I can't understand this term. Specially a beam of white light. Is it a combination of photons or electromagnetic waves that moving in space with different wavelengths?
Since output of a prism is analogous transition of colors that makes me think there are infinite number of wavelengths in visible light in contrast to a laser beam. Much like infinite numbers between two numbers in math but how's the physical translation? Cuz numbers don't exist but light do. What am I missing here?
Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Mosio said:
I can't understand this term. Specially a beam of white light. Is it a combination of photons or electromagnetic waves that moving in space with different wavelengths?
yes
Since output of a prism is analogous transition of colors that makes me think there are infinite number of wavelengths in visible light in contrast to a laser beam.
yes
Much like infinite numbers between two numbers in math but how's the physical translation?
huh? The physical translation is exactly what you just said ... light can have an infinite range of frequencies.
Cuz numbers don't exist but light do.
so?
What am I missing here?
You don't seem to be missing anything other than confidence that you understand it.

phinds said:
light can have an infinite range of frequencies.
phinds said:
so?
So this means infinite amount of waves, photons and thus energy. how can we simply measure it and say e.g. it's n lux?
And how will the waveform look like?

Mosio said:
I can't understand this term. Specially a beam of white light. Is it a combination of photons or electromagnetic waves that moving in space with different wavelengths
It is an electromagnetic wave moving through space. Photons don't come into the picture until the light beam hits something and we need to do detailed calculations about exactly how the electromagnetic waves exchange energy and momentum with whatever they've hit.
Since output of a prism is analogous transition of colors that makes me think there are infinite number of wavelengths in visible light in contrast to a laser beam. Much like infinite numbers between two numbers in math but how's the physical translation? Cuz numbers don't exist but light do. What am I missing here?
All waves - not just electromagnetic, but also sound waves, water waves in the ocean, the waves in a violin string, vibrations in a tuning fork, whatever - behave according to particular differential equation called the "wave equation". The wave equation is linear, meaning that it has the very nice property that if A and B are solutions of the wave equation, then A+B is also a solution. Furthermore, a pure wave with a specific wavelength is always a solution so any waveform, no matter how complex, can be treated as a bunch of different pure single-wavelength waves all moving through the same point in space at the same time, adding in ways that produce the actual physical waveform that we're working with. And it turns out that a beam of ordinary white ligtht is produced by summing waves at all possible wavelengths, so yes... There really are an infinite number of wavelengths in a beam of ordinary white light, and that's why prisms produce a continuous spectrum.

Likes Mosio

What is a beam of light?

A beam of light is a stream of photons that travel in a straight line and can be seen by the human eye.

How does a beam of light travel?

A beam of light travels in a straight line, unless it is refracted or reflected by a surface.

What is the speed of a beam of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

Can a beam of light be bent or redirected?

Yes, a beam of light can be bent or redirected by using lenses, mirrors, or other optical instruments.

What is the difference between a beam of light and a ray of light?

A beam of light is a wider stream of photons, while a ray of light is a narrow stream of photons. A beam of light can contain multiple rays of light.