1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about a Conical Pendulum

1. Feb 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A conical Pendulum, a uniform, thin rod of mass m and length l, rotates about a vertical axis with angular velocity omega. Find the angle between the vertical and the rod.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the usual approach to solve this question, write the pseudo force of an elemental and then integrate, as we sit on a rotating frame of reference. I was wondering if there's anyone who's solved the question in an inertial frame instead? It may get a bit complicated in an inertial frame, but I was curious if we can solve it, because I tried to, and failed.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

When in doubt, the answer is always the same: Start with a free body diagram. What forces exist and what accelerations exist?

The centripetal force required to keep the entire rod in uniform circular motion is the sum of the centripetal forces required to keep each individual piece in uniform circular motion. Instead of integrating centrifugal forces, integrate centripetal forces and you ought to get a very similar result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted