1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about angular momentum quantum numbers

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    This is just a short question about angular momentum quantum numbers, not a homework problem.

So in my textbook it states that the letters s,p,d,f correspond to the angular momentum quantum numbers 0,1,2,3 respectively. But what if l = 5? Then what letter to use?

The book does say that n can be up to infinity, which means l can also be up to infinity? Therefore l = 5 should be possible but what's the letter to represent it in the electronic configurations?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2
    I believe they just go in alphabetic order after f.

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    Ah ok but then what after you have used up the letter z? There are only 26 letters in the English alphabet after all.

5. Sep 26, 2011 #4
    I think if you are at that point, you are well beyond the usefulness of spectroscopic notation. If you really wanted to though, you could dive into the greek and hebrew characters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook