Really an easy question about derivative of arctan

• B
  • Thread starter kidsasd987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Therefore, by substituting in for y, we get that the derivative of arctan is 1/(x^2+1), which is also the derivative of cosy.
kidsasd987
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/1.-differentiation/part-b-implicit-differentiation-and-inverse-functions/session-15-implicit-differentiation-and-inverse-functions/MIT18_01SCF10_Ses15b.pdfso derivative of arctan is 1/(x^2+1) and this is obvious since we are considering trigonometry of a triangle of which hypotenuse is sqrt(x^2+1).But can we consider its hypotenuse to be x instead of sqrt(x^2+1)? where cosy=1/x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kidsasd987 said:
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/1.-differentiation/part-b-implicit-differentiation-and-inverse-functions/session-15-implicit-differentiation-and-inverse-functions/MIT18_01SCF10_Ses15b.pdfso derivative of arctan is 1/sqrt(x^2+1) and this is obvious since we are considering trigonometry of a triangle of which hypotenuse is sqrt(x^2+1).But can we consider its hypotenuse to be x instead of sqrt(x^2+1)? where cosy=1/x

##\frac{d \arctan(x)}{dx} = \frac{1}{1+x^2}##, and not what you say.

Math_QED said:
##\frac{d \arctan(x)}{dx} = \frac{1}{1+x^2}##, and not what you say.

whoops sorry somehow I put it in sqrt.

Can you explain me why we are considering one specific trigonometry although we could consider a triangle of which hypotenuse is x and base is 1Ah please don't mind. I figured out.

Last edited:
kidsasd987 said:
But can we consider its hypotenuse to be x instead of sqrt(x^2+1)? where cosy=1/x

kidsasd987 said:
Ah please don't mind. I figured out.
I'm not sure what it is that you figured out, but here's the answer to your first question, above.
Let ##y = \arctan(x)##
An equivalent equation is ##\tan(y) = x##
The picture below shows a right triangle with one angle labeled y. Since ##\tan(y) = x##, it's reasonable to label the opposite side as x, and the adjacent side as 1. This forces the hypotenuse to be ##\sqrt{x^2 + 1}##.

If we differentiate both sides of the equation ##\tan(y) = x## with respect to x, we get ##\sec^2(y) \frac{dy}{dx} = 1##, or ## \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac 1{\sec^2(y)} = \cos^2(y)##. From the drawing, it can be seen that ##\cos^2(y) = \frac 1 {x^2 + 1}##
triangle.png

1. What is the derivative of arctan?

The derivative of arctan is 1/(1+x^2).

2. How do you find the derivative of arctan?

To find the derivative of arctan, use the formula d/dx(arctan(x)) = 1/(1+x^2).

3. What is the formula for the derivative of arctan?

The formula for the derivative of arctan is d/dx(arctan(x)) = 1/(1+x^2).

4. Can you give an example of finding the derivative of arctan?

Sure, for example, if we want to find the derivative of arctan(3x), we use the chain rule and the formula d/dx(arctan(x)) = 1/(1+x^2). The final answer would be 3/(1+(3x)^2) = 3/(1+9x^2).

5. What is the importance of knowing the derivative of arctan?

Knowing the derivative of arctan is important in solving problems related to rates of change and optimization, as well as in calculus and other higher level math courses. It is also used in applications such as physics and engineering.