1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about coulomb's force.

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    1. A certain charge "Q" is to be divided into two parts, "Q-q" and "q". What is the relation of "Q" to "q" if two parts, placed at a given distance apart, are to have the maximum coulomb's repulsion?

I am unable to find the condition when there is a maximum Coulomb's repulsion. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

DIMSKK

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2
    What have you tried so far?

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Write down the expression for the force between the charges. Find the differentiation with respect to q and equate it to zero. That gives you the condition for the maximum coulomb's repulsion.

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4
    Why find the differentiation with respect to q and then equate it to 0? I mean why force will be maximum when we do this? Can anyone explain? Moreover, whether we differentiate the expression with "Q" or "q"?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. Mar 1, 2009 #5
    Now I have found what is the reason. Thank you very much for help rl.bhat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook