Question about creating a regression model

In summary, the plasma physicist is looking for formulas for quadratic and higher level polynomial regressions, but is having difficulty finding them. He has found formulas for linear regression, but is looking for higher level curves. He is also looking for a way to fit data to a model, and is interested in using the Vandermonde matrix.
celery1
Hey, so I've started doing a plasma physics research project and one of the things that I have to do is design a function which approximates a curve based on data points that its fed. So far I found the formula for creating a linear regression, but I'm having trouble finding the formulas for quadratic and higher level polynomial regressions.
I know that a calculator can do it, but I can't find source code in any language to compare it to.

More or less what I'm looking for is either code in some language like this one

y = mx + b
"""
Sx = Sy = Sxx = Sxy = Syy = 0.0
n = len(pairs)
for x,y in pairs:
Sx = Sx + x
Sy = Sy + y
Sxx = Sxx + x*x
Sxy = Sxy + x*y
Syy = Syy + y*y
m = ((n * Sxy) - (Sx * Sy)) / ((n * Sxx) - Sx ** 2)
b = (Sy - (m * Sx)) / n
r = ((n * Sxy) - (Sx * Sy)) / (math.sqrt((n * (Sxx)) - (Sx ** 2)) *
math.sqrt((n * Syy) - (Sy ** 2)))
print("y = %sx + %s" % (m, b))
print("r = %s" % r)
return m, b, r

Where I can just translate it

Except for something which gives the formulas for polynomial functions like

y= ax^2+bx+c
Where this gives the quadratic regression formula
Or simply the formula for calculating quadratic regression, cubic regression and so on. I would like to go as high as sixth order but please if you have anything that would help please post it.

Technology news on Phys.org
I gather you are looking to solve for the an in

[tex]y = \sum_{n=0}^N a_n\,x^n[/tex]

Note the equation is linear in terms of the coefficients an: It's still a linear regression. Applying least squares techniques leads to

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
v_0 & v_1 & \cdots & v_n \\
v_1 & v_2 & \cdots & v_{n+1} \\
\vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
v_n & v_{n+1} & \cdots & v_{2n}\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} a_0 \\ a_1 \\ \vdots \\ a_n\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix} u_0 \\ u_1 \\ \vdots \\ u_n\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The matrix on the left is the Vandermonde matrix:

[tex]v_k = \sum_{i=1}^M x_i^k[/tex]

where M is the number of observations and xi is the ith observation. The vector on the right is formed by

[tex]u_k =\sum_{i=1}^M y_ix_i^k[/tex]

There are special techniques for solving the above. Google Vandermonde matrix for more.

Hey celery1 and welcome to the forums.

Just a question for you that I feel is important: Do you want to the data to a particular model for a reason or are you just fitting the model to different polynomial models?

The reason I bring this up is because finding a polynomial that gives the best fit may not be a good idea if you want to explain the data.

If on the other hand you had a particular model in mind for a reason (like for example an inverse-square relationship in a gravitational or electromagnetic experiment) and you wanted to test the fit to that particular model, that is one thing because there is context in this scenario.

If you want to just find the best polynomial that fits, then I would have to ask what you are trying to find out, because fitting data to a polynomial without context is dangerous and might give the wrong conclusion.

Pretty much its the output from my project which is essentially a change in velocity with respect to time. So essentially its just a bunch of points x,y and I wanted to determine which function fits them the best to describe the data that I'm seeing.
Its the stuff that I posted for the linear regression curve but expanded for other polynomials and then I'm thinking of using the r value to get the best polynomial of them all.

I would like to use the matrix that DH posted but I don't fully understand how I would get the least squares regression from it.

I understand the importance of having accurate and efficient models in research projects. Regression models are a powerful tool for approximating curves based on data points, and it is great that you have already found the formula for creating a linear regression. However, I can see that you are now looking for the formulas for quadratic and higher level polynomial regressions, and you are having difficulty finding them.

Firstly, I want to assure you that there are many resources available for finding these formulas, including textbooks, online articles, and coding websites. Additionally, most scientific computing software packages, such as MATLAB or Python's NumPy library, have built-in functions for creating regression models of various degrees.

For quadratic regression specifically, the formula you are looking for is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are coefficients that can be calculated using the least squares method. This method involves minimizing the sum of the squared differences between the actual data points and the predicted values from the regression model. The formulas for calculating these coefficients can be found in many sources, such as this article from MathIsFun: https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/quadratic-regression.html

For higher level polynomial regressions, the process is similar but involves calculating more coefficients. For example, for a cubic regression (y = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d), you would need to calculate four coefficients using the least squares method. The formulas for these coefficients can also be found in various sources, such as this article from Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/st...ships-in-scatterplots/a/polynomial-regression

In terms of code, there are many online resources that provide step-by-step instructions for implementing regression models in different programming languages. For example, this article from Real Python provides a detailed tutorial for implementing polynomial regression in Python: https://realpython.com/linear-regression-in-python/

In summary, there are many resources available for finding the formulas and code for creating regression models of various degrees. I encourage you to explore different sources and choose the one that best suits your needs and programming abilities. Good luck with your plasma physics research project!

1. What is a regression model?

A regression model is a statistical analysis technique used to investigate the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables. It allows you to predict the values of the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variables.

2. How do you create a regression model?

To create a regression model, you first need to gather data on your dependent and independent variables. Then, you can use a software program, such as R or Python, to perform a regression analysis. This involves selecting the appropriate regression model, fitting the model to your data, and evaluating the results.

3. What is the purpose of creating a regression model?

The purpose of creating a regression model is to gain a better understanding of the relationship between variables and to make predictions about the values of the dependent variable. It can also help identify which independent variables have the most significant impact on the dependent variable.

4. What are some common types of regression models?

Common types of regression models include linear regression, logistic regression, polynomial regression, and multiple regression. Each type has its own assumptions and is suitable for different types of data and research questions.

5. How do you interpret the results of a regression model?

The results of a regression model can be interpreted by looking at the coefficients, p-values, and confidence intervals for each independent variable. These can indicate the strength and direction of the relationship between the variables, as well as the statistical significance of the results. Additionally, measures like R-squared and root mean square error can provide information about the overall fit of the model.