Question about creation and annihilation operators?

In summary, creation and annihilation operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the creation and annihilation of particles. They work by acting on a quantum state and manipulating the number of particles in that state. The commutation relationship between these operators is given by [^, _] = Χ, and they are used extensively in quantum field theory to calculate physical quantities and understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. Their significance lies in their ability to describe and manipulate quantum states, making them essential tools in quantum mechanics.
21joanna12
Hello! I am reading about the creation and annihilation operators and I don't get how you find the creation operator from the annihilation one. The creation one is

[itex] \hat{a}=\sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar}}\left( \hat{x}+\frac{i \hat{p}}{m \omega}\right) [/itex]

and the annihilation operator is [itex] \hat{a}\dagger =\sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar}}\left( \hat{x}-\frac{i \hat{p}}{m \omega}\right) [/itex]

I don't understand how taking the complex conjugate an transpose leads to the minus sign. I thought that [itex]\hat{x}=x[/itex] and [itex]\hat{p}=i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex] so [itex]\hat{x}\dagger=\hat{x}=x[/itex] but
[itex]\hat{p}\dagger=-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=-\hat{p}[/itex] which will cancel with the minus sign from complex conjugating the [itex]i[/itex], so that [itex] \hat{a}=\hat{a}\dagger[/itex].

I'm sure that this mistake is due to my unfamiliarity with the algebra of operators. I would appreciate it if someone could say which of my assumptions is wrong! My hunch is that it has something to do with taking the dagger of [itex]\left( \hat{x}+\frac{i \hat{p}}{m \omega}\right) [/itex] and this not being equal to taking the dagger of the individual operators...

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is where you computed ##p^{\dagger}##. Since this is an operator corresponding to an observable (momentum), you know that it must be hermitian so that ##p^{\dagger} = p##. Therefore your error is in the computation of ##p^{\dagger}##. Find first how the operator ##d/dx## transforms under a hermitian conjugate.

Likes 21joanna12
21joanna12 said:
I don't understand how taking the complex conjugate an transpose leads to the minus sign. I thought that [itex]\hat{x}=x[/itex] and [itex]\hat{p}=i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex] so [itex]\hat{x}\dagger=\hat{x}=x[/itex] but
[itex]\hat{p}\dagger=-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=-\hat{p}[/itex] which will cancel with the minus sign from complex conjugating the [itex]i[/itex], so that [itex] \hat{a}=\hat{a}\dagger[/itex].

For an operator, [itex]\hat{O}[/itex], the definition of [itex]\hat{O}^\dagger[/itex] is a little technical: If you have two wave functions [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex], then according to Dirac notation:

[itex]\langle \phi | \psi \rangle = \int \phi(x)^* \psi(x) dx[/itex]

Then the meaning of [itex]\hat{O}^\dagger[/itex] is given by:

[itex]\langle \phi | \hat{O} \psi \rangle = \langle \hat{O}^\dagger \phi | \psi\rangle[/itex]

In the case of a "hermitian" operator, [itex]\hat{O}^\dagger = \hat{O}[/itex], so we can just write:

[itex]\langle \phi | \hat{O} | \psi \rangle [/itex]

and not worry about whether [itex]\hat{O}[/itex] is acting to the right, on [itex]\psi[/itex], or acting to the left, on [itex]\phi[/itex].

In the special case where [itex]\hat{O}[/itex] is the derivative operator, [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex], you can prove[itex]\dagger[/itex]:

[itex]\langle \phi | \frac{d}{dx} \psi \rangle = \langle (- \frac{d}{dx} \phi) | \psi \rangle[/itex]

So [itex](\frac{d}{dx})^\dagger = - \frac{d}{dx}[/itex]

[itex]\dagger[/itex]This is only true when [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex] are well-behaved wave functions. You prove this by integration by parts, and reasoning that [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex] go to zero as [itex]x \rightarrow \pm \infty[/itex].

Likes vanhees71 and 21joanna12
stevendaryl said:
For an operator, [itex]\hat{O}[/itex], the definition of [itex]\hat{O}^\dagger[/itex] is a little technical: If you have two wave functions [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex], then according to Dirac notation:

[itex]\langle \phi | \psi \rangle = \int \phi(x)^* \psi(x) dx[/itex]

Then the meaning of [itex]\hat{O}^\dagger[/itex] is given by:

[itex]\langle \phi | \hat{O} \psi \rangle = \langle \hat{O}^\dagger \phi | \psi\rangle[/itex]

In the case of a "hermitian" operator, [itex]\hat{O}^\dagger = \hat{O}[/itex], so we can just write:

[itex]\langle \phi | \hat{O} | \psi \rangle [/itex]

and not worry about whether [itex]\hat{O}[/itex] is acting to the right, on [itex]\psi[/itex], or acting to the left, on [itex]\phi[/itex].

In the special case where [itex]\hat{O}[/itex] is the derivative operator, [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex], you can prove[itex]\dagger[/itex]:

[itex]\langle \phi | \frac{d}{dx} \psi \rangle = \langle (- \frac{d}{dx} \phi) | \psi \rangle[/itex]

So [itex](\frac{d}{dx})^\dagger = - \frac{d}{dx}[/itex]

[itex]\dagger[/itex]This is only true when [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex] are well-behaved wave functions. You prove this by integration by parts, and reasoning that [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex] go to zero as [itex]x \rightarrow \pm \infty[/itex].

Brilliant! Thank you both! I see now how [itex]\hat{p}\dagger=\hat{p}[/itex], but I'm also wondering whether you can distribute the 'dagger' over the bracket [itex]\left(\hat{x}+\frac{i\hat{p}}{m\omega}\right)[/itex] by simply taking the 'dagger' of the components and [itex]i[/itex]? Or am I thinking about this wrong?

Thank you! :)

21joanna12 said:
Brilliant! Thank you both! I see now how [itex]\hat{p}\dagger=\hat{p}[/itex], but I'm also wondering whether you can distribute the 'dagger' over the bracket [itex]\left(\hat{x}+\frac{i\hat{p}}{m\omega}\right)[/itex] by simply taking the 'dagger' of the components and [itex]i[/itex]? Or am I thinking about this wrong?

Thank you! :)
Yes, the [itex]\dagger[/itex] operation distributes.

Likes 21joanna12
stevendaryl said:
Yes, the [itex]\dagger[/itex] operation distributes.

Technically, [itex](AB + C)^\dagger = B^\dagger A^\dagger + C^\dagger[/itex]

Likes 21joanna12
The harmonic oscillator (in 1D) is the simplest possible example of how functional analysis makes the heart of quantum mechanics. A nice propery which enables us to use ladder operators is the fact that [itex]\mathcal{S}(\mathbb{R})[/itex] the Schwartz test functions space is a common dense everywhere domain of essential self-adjointness for both x and p. Hence it makes sense to consider the adjoint of [itex] a = x + \alpha p[/itex] , where [itex]\alpha [/itex] is a complex constant (number, not operator).

[tex] a^{\dagger} = \left(x + \alpha p \right)^{\dagger} \supseteq x^{\dagger} + (\alpha p)^{\dagger} \supseteq x +\alpha^{*} p [/tex]

Since [itex] i^{*} = -i [/itex], that's how you end up with a minus before p. If the operators are restricted to [itex]\mathcal{S}(\mathbb{R})[/itex] from [itex]\mathcal{L}^2(\mathbb{R})[/itex], you're safe to use the equality sign.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are creation and annihilation operators?

Creation and annihilation operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the creation and annihilation of particles. They are represented by the symbols ^ and _ respectively, and are used to manipulate quantum states.

2. How do creation and annihilation operators work?

Creation and annihilation operators work by acting on a quantum state, either increasing or decreasing the number of particles in that state. For example, the creation operator would add a particle to the state, while the annihilation operator would remove a particle.

3. What is the commutation relationship between creation and annihilation operators?

The commutation relationship between creation and annihilation operators is given by [^, _] = Χ, where Χ is the identity operator. This means that the order in which the operators are applied matters, and they do not commute with each other.

4. How are creation and annihilation operators used in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, creation and annihilation operators are used to describe the creation and annihilation of particles in a quantum field. They are used to create and destroy particles in a specific state, and can be used to calculate physical quantities such as energy and momentum.

5. What is the significance of creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics?

Creation and annihilation operators are essential tools in quantum mechanics, as they allow us to describe and manipulate quantum states and calculate physical quantities. They also play a crucial role in the understanding of quantum field theory and the behavior of particles at the quantum level.