Question about Dirac Delta function

In summary, In page 555, Appendix B of Intro to electrodynamics by D Griffiths: Delta function is an even function. What you have written holds for δ'(-x).
yungman
In page 555, Appendix B of Intro to electrodynamics by D Griffiths:
[tex]\nabla\cdot \vec F=-\nabla^2U=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\int D\nabla^2\left(\frac{1}{\vec{\vartheta}}\right)d\tau'=\int D(\vec r')\delta^3(\vec r-\vec r')d\tau'=D(\vec r) [/tex]
where ##\;\vec{\vartheta}=\vec r-\vec r'##.

Is it supposed to be equal to ##D(\vec r')## as equation (1.98) in page 50 stated ##\int f(\vec r)\delta(\vec r-\vec a)d\tau'=f(\vec a)##?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't precisely understand, what's your question. The most non-trivial statement is that
[tex]\Delta_{\vec{x}} \frac{1}{4 \pi |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}=\delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}').[/tex]
To prove this, it is most simple to solve for the Green's function of the Laplace operator, i.e.,
[tex]\Delta G(\vec{x})=-\delta(\vec{x}).[/tex]
One way is to use the method of Fourier transformation, i.e., write
[tex]G(\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{k}}{(2 \pi)^3} \tilde{G}(\vec{k})\exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}).[/tex]
Then you find
[tex]\Delta G(\vec{x})=-\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{k}}{(2 \pi)^3}\vec{k}^2 \tilde{G}(\vec{k})\exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}).[/tex]
On the other hand, the Dirac [itex]\delta[/itex] distribution (it's not a function but a distribution!) has the Fourier representation
[tex]\delta^{(3)}(\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{k}}{(2 \pi)^3}\exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}).[/tex]
This implies
[tex]\tilde{G}(\vec{k})=\frac{1}{\vec{k}^2}.[/tex]
Now you have to do the Fourier transform. Unfortunately the integral is not absolutely convergent. This we cure by restricting the integration in momentum space to the ball of radius [itex]\Lambda[/itex],
[tex]G(\vec{x})=\int_{B_{\Lambda}} \frac{\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{k}}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{\exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x})}{\vec{k}^2}.[/tex]
We introduce spherical coordinates with polar axis in direction of [itex]\vec{x}[/itex]. Then we can do the angular integrals immediately (substituting [itex]u=\cos \vartheta[/itex])
[tex]G(\vec{x})=\frac{1}{4 \pi^2} \int_0^{\Lambda} \mathrm{d} K \int_{-1}^1 \mathrm{d} u \exp(\mathrm{i} K r u)=\frac{1}{2 \pi^2 r} \int_0^{\Lambda} \frac{\sin(k r)}{k}.[/tex]
Now we can let [itex]\Lambda \rightarrow \infty[/itex] and use the standard integral
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} k \frac{\sin(k r)}{k}=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
to finally obtain
[tex]G(\vec{x})=\frac{1}{4\pi |\vec{x}|}.[/tex]

yungman said:
In page 555, Appendix B of Intro to electrodynamics by D Griffiths:
[tex]\nabla\cdot \vec F=-\nabla^2U=-\frac{1}{4\pi}\int D\nabla^2\left(\frac{1}{\vec{\vartheta}}\right)d\tau'=\int D(\vec r')\delta^3(\vec r-\vec r')d\tau'=D(\vec r) [/tex]
where ##\;\vec{\vartheta}=\vec r-\vec r'##.

Is it supposed to be equal to ##D(\vec r')## as equation (1.98) in page 50 stated ##\int f(\vec r)\delta(\vec r-\vec a)d\tau'=f(\vec a)##?

Thanks
No. In that last equation, the integration is with respect to the "primed" values and the result is f of the unprimed a. In the equation you are asking about, the integration is again with respect to the "primed" variables and the result is again a function of the unprimed variable.

HallsofIvy said:
No. In that last equation, the integration is with respect to the "primed" values and the result is f of the unprimed a. In the equation you are asking about, the integration is again with respect to the "primed" variables and the result is again a function of the unprimed variable.

Thanks for your response. That's exactly my question. I don't understand why using ##D(\vec r)## instead of ##D(\vec r')##?

I don't understand why ##\int D(\vec r')\delta^3(\vec r-\vec r')d\tau'=D(\vec r) ## where integration with respect to the "primed" variables gives a function of the unprimed variable? Is it like this:
[tex]\int D(\vec r')\delta^3(\vec r-\vec r')d\tau'=-\int D(\vec r')\delta^3(\vec r'-\vec r)d\tau'=D(\vec r)[/tex]
as ##\delta(-x)=-\delta(x)\Rightarrow\;\delta^3(\vec r-\vec r')=-\delta^3(\vec r'-\vec r)##

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Its because the primed r inside of the D is just a tool for you to note that you are integrating that function over all space, while weighting it with the 3-D point function.

Once you do the integral, it takes on the value of the function D evaluated at the point r (unprimed). The function at all other points outside of that the integral is zero because its weight with the Dirac function

yungman said:
as ##\delta(-x)=-\delta(x)\Rightarrow\;\delta^3(\vec r-\vec r')=-\delta^3(\vec r'-\vec r)##
how did you got that?Delta function is an even function.What you have written holds for δ'(-x).

andrien said:
how did you got that?Delta function is an even function.What you have written holds for δ'(-x).

I double check my notes, I was wrong.
[tex]\delta(-x)=\delta(x)\; and \; \delta(\vec r-\vec r')=\delta(\vec r'-\vec r)[/tex]

Does this work better?

1. What is the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function is a mathematical function that is commonly used in physics and engineering to model impulse-like phenomena. It is defined as an infinitely tall and narrow function with an area of one under its peak, and zero everywhere else.

2. What are the properties of the Dirac Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function has several important properties, including being zero everywhere except at its peak, having an integral of one, and having a value of infinity at its peak. It also has the sifting property, which means that when integrated with another function, it acts as a filter to pick out only the value of the function at the point of the delta function's peak.

3. How is the Dirac Delta function used in real-world applications?

The Dirac Delta function is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as modeling impulse forces in mechanical systems, representing point charges in electromagnetism, and solving differential equations in quantum mechanics. It is also commonly used in signal processing and image processing to detect and remove noise.

4. Can the Dirac Delta function be graphed?

No, the Dirac Delta function cannot be graphed in the traditional sense because it is an infinitely tall and narrow function. However, it can be represented as a spike or impulse at the point of its peak, with a value of infinity. This representation is often used in engineering and physics to visualize and understand the behavior of the function.

5. How is the Dirac Delta function related to the Kronecker Delta function?

The Dirac Delta function and the Kronecker Delta function are closely related, but they have different applications. The Kronecker Delta function is used in discrete mathematics to represent a discrete set of values, while the Dirac Delta function is used in continuous mathematics to represent a continuous set of values. They both have the sifting property, but the Kronecker Delta function has a value of 1 at its peak, while the Dirac Delta function has a value of infinity.