Question about electric field doing work

In summary: I don't think you need to visualize anything specifically. You just need to remember the basic laws that govern electric fields.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

. Homework Statement

If the electric field does negative work on a negative charge as the charge undergoes a displacement from position a to b within an electric field then the electrical potential energy is?

ANSWER: positive

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that W = -deltaU, and thus, if we have a negative coefficient for W, we would get a positive coefficient for deltaU, resulting in positive electrical potential energy.

How could I think this problem through if I completely forgot the equation and just thought conceptually?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Considering they mention the charge, you are probably expected to start with F=qE and W=Fd.

RoboNerd said:
How could I think this problem through if I completely forgot the equation and just thought conceptually?
Is the problem the sign for you to remember? Because W = -ΔU [or ΔU = -W] is in fact by definition of potential energy [or/and potential energy difference], and really an easy one to remember! Then one just needs to pick a point of reference where U = 0, or carry an arbitrariness up to a constant.
So it is better that you don't forget that equation. It is (almost) the only way (+see ahead). It is by definition.

Unless you are looking for the motivation that also helps us justify why exactly we define it that way. And that is nothing else but the Conservation of Energy. [That's how I always remember it, and the sign.] Please pay attention closely to my next post.

Note: The electric potential V is related to the electrical potential energy through V = U/q . Also E = F/q (or F = qE). Finally, the work of a force F is defined roughly as:
W = ∑FΔs (or better W = abF•ds).
(cf. also Simon Bridge's comment above/ for connection ...)

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Stavros Kiri said:
Unless you are looking for the motivation that also helps us justify why exactly we define it that way. And that is nothing else but the Conservation of Energy. [That's how I always remember it, and the sign.] Please pay attention closely to my next post.
Here is the interesting part:
Assume there are no external forces. Due to "the change of kinetic energy theorem": W = ΔΕkinetic . Also here W = -ΔU. Thus:

ΔΕkinetic = -ΔU or ΔΕkinetic + ΔU = 0 or Δ(Εkinetic + U) = 0,
or ΔEtot = 0, i.e. conserv. of the total energy, as promised.

Last edited:
Likes RoboNerd
RoboNerd said:
If the electric field does negative work on a negative charge as the charge undergoes a displacement from position a to b within an electric field then the electrical potential energy is?
RoboNerd said:

Here is a 3rd version/interpretation of your problem, which for you may in fact be the primary one.
If we know that W<0, then, even without the q<0 assumption (it is irrelevant), we get by conservation of total energy etc.: ΔU = -ΔEkinetic = -W > 0, q.e.d

The same is obtained directly by W = -ΔU ... as you said, but you also say "you are afraid you might forget! ..." ...

Thank you for the kind answers. Yes, I understand how the law of conservation of energy works... but I am looking for like a pretend scenario to think of.

For example, if I were to be considering moment of inertia, I would instantly think of a rod spinning at the center being easier to twirl around than a rod at one end. This would give me some intuition to solve problems

How would I be able to "think" or "visualize" electrons and electric fields to get the right answer?

Thanks!

RoboNerd said:
How would I be able to "think" or "visualize" electrons and electric fields to get the right answer?
Electric field lines diagrams perhaps?
Or particularly for potential energy?

I do not know. How would I use electric field diagrams or particularly for potential energy?

Stavros Kiri said:
Electric field lines diagrams perhaps?
Or particularly for potential energy?

I know how electric field diagrams work, I just need to figure out how to imagine a sample scenario from which I would derive the right answer.

What i am asking for is sort of like deriving the differential equation for the motion of an object in simple harmonic motion where I know the initial set up and can logically and quickly derive the right answer.

Likes Stavros Kiri
RoboNerd said:
I just need to figure out how to imagine a sample scenario from which I would derive the right answer.
Then the only thing I can think of is [creating a set-up by] going back to the basics, i.e. Coulomb's law (for electrostatics + the test charge can move), Lorentz force law (for E and B fields and moving charges), + writting down Work and energy equations properly (to properly move to potentials etc.), etc.
That way you can derive almost everything in E&M (including Maxwell's equations - with the help of Special Relativity transformations [and for non-accelerating charges]), but sometimes the math is too much, and that method is problably not an "economic" one, so sometimes we better off remember some things and already existing results, while in other cases, or purely for educational or fundamental foundational purposes, that, I agree, is a good method and motivation (to think that way), because it helps us understand things better. For non complicated situations it is a good idea.

But may be somebody else has more ideas and suggestions. Or perhaps, after this interaction in the discussion, you can come up with better ideas and suggestions.

Sorry, special relativity is a bit over my head now. I did not cover Lorentz force law, but I can cover it in the future.

So thus, I am not able to derive the equations yet, as I do not have special relativity knowledge. Maybe later, if and when I cover it.

That goes may be for the complete E&M theory, which is relatively advanced in math.

But you can still create the set-up that you want (and I think it is in fact a good idea) for Electrostatics [note that the test charge can move] (and similarly for magnetostatics), by going back to the basics, that is the notion of charge, Coulomb's force law etc., and with the use of simple mechanics ideas and some calculus you can derive most equations (besides the definitions of course). For example from Coulomb's law you first find E = F/q , then through the work of the force you get the potential energy and the electric potential etc.
But we have already discussed these basic issues and you seem to be familiar with them. Thus you won't have a problem creating the appropriate set-up for every situation and derive the equations that you want. But keep in mind what the definitions are, in each case, in that process. (For example ΔU = -W is by definition, as already said earlier, while the formula for electric potential (V [or Φ]) of one charge (Q) field: V(r) = K•(Q/r) , is a result (following by the also definition of potential V = U/q and the calculation of mechanical work [and thus of potential energy] for Coulomb's force ... [q is the test charge]).)
So there are many things you can do.

For the complete E&M theory and connection to special relativity, don't worry about it now. In any case, you have to go through the usual presented method first. For example (later) you will learn Maxwell's equations as generalizations of the E&M laws and you will pretty much have to accept and remember them before you even have to worry about the connection to sp. relativity and ways to formally derive them. Historically they also came about first, before and independent of the STR.

Last edited:
Likes RoboNerd
OK. thanks for the input! I definitely have to keep it in mind.

RoboNerd said:
OK. thanks for the input! I definitely have to keep it in mind.
Thanks also for the discussion and interaction.

I particularly liked and admired overall your idea and desire to always go back to the foundation and derive everything, instead of just blindly remember the equations, as contained/expressed in:
RoboNerd said:
I know how electric field diagrams work, I just need to figure out how to imagine a sample scenario from which I would derive the right answer.

What i am asking for is sort of like deriving the differential equation for the motion of an object in simple harmonic motion where I know the initial set up and can logically and quickly derive the right answer.

That is always a more secure, productive and creative way to do physics, than just memorizing and quoting ...

Likes RoboNerd
Thank you!

Physics should not be memorized. Only understood. Otherwise, it becomes a useless memorization exercise.

Likes Stavros Kiri
RoboNerd said:
Thank you!

Physics should not be memorized. Only understood. Otherwise, it becomes a useless memorization exercise.
I agree.
(May be some memorization is accompanying and somewhat innevitable, but the priority is I think what you say ...)

Last edited:
Likes RoboNerd

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range. It is represented by electric field lines and its strength is measured in units of volts per meter.

2. How does an electric field do work?

An electric field does work by exerting a force on charged particles, causing them to move in the direction of the field. This movement results in a change in the potential energy of the charged particles, and work is done to either increase or decrease this potential energy.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude and direction of the electric charges involved, as well as the distance between them. The electric field is stronger when the charges have a larger magnitude and closer proximity.

4. Can an electric field do work on neutral particles?

No, an electric field can only exert a force on charged particles. Neutral particles do not experience a force in an electric field, and therefore, no work is done on them.

5. What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential energy?

The electric potential energy of a charged particle is directly related to the electric field, as the electric field is responsible for exerting a force on the particle and causing it to have potential energy. The stronger the electric field, the greater the potential energy of the charged particle.