Question about engineering careers as a high schooler

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school junior who initially wanted to pursue engineering due to their aptitude in math and science, but is now struggling in their AP physics class and questioning their future in engineering. The conversation offers advice on understanding the concepts and not getting discouraged by difficulties in one specific area of physics. It also suggests exploring different types of engineering and considering the possibility of a less effective teacher.
Jhelf
I'm a high school junior who thought I wanted to be an engineer (because I enjoy and am good at math and science), and I decided to take AP physics 1, but I now realize that was a horrible mistake. I am doing terrible in the class, and although I kind of enjoy the ideas I hate the math for some reason. I still and good at math classes (and Compsci), and I really liked Chem and plan on taking AP Chem next year, but because I'm bad at physics, does that mean I probably won't pursue engineering in college? Also, if the answer to the previous question was yes, what types of engineering might be more suited to me? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Junior in HS? "AP Physics a horrible mistake?" Not necessarily --- you might be running into a "lemon." Do not presume to have "seen it all" by your jr. year in HS.

What do you mean "you might be running into a lemon."?

We can't tell you what you will or will not be good at. You're still very early in your education if you want to be an engineer, and there's no real way to know where your strengths and weaknesses lie.

The first thing I would do is figure out why you are doing poorly in your physics class. Do you understand the concepts but get stuck on the math? If so, then look into why you're getting stuck on the math. Quite often students will think they understand the concepts and just don't get the math, but it's actually the other way around. The math is often just simple algebra and arithmetic. But understanding what all you need to include when trying to solve a problem becomes difficult if you do not understand the concepts well enough.

For example, if you are trying to solve a problem involving a block on an inclined plane, and constantly get confused on the direction of the forces involved, then you're not having trouble with the math, you're likely having trouble understanding forces and vectors and how to use them to set up your problem.

Also keep in mind that engineering encompasses a wide variety of fields and jobs, and even if you don't like a particular aspect of physics, perhaps statics or rotating objects, that doesn't mean you'll be a bad engineer. You may never even have to work with those depending on the career you choose. Just keep on doing the best you can and don't worry too much about whether or not you'll be able to pursue an engineering degree.

Another thought is that maybe your teacher doesn't teach the subject well. AP physics requires a certain mind set and discipline. For example, if you are not taught to always use free body diagrams (and this idea is constantly drummed into you), you are likely to experience difficulty. The importance of free body diagrams can not be overemphasized.

It's most probably the concepts. I've seen it myself. I will say, AP is not hard. Some countries have compulsory courses in Physics, Chem and Maths which are much-much harder then AP. I've seen most people struggling on how to apply the concept. They know what is friction, what is force etc. but they seemingly don't know how to apply the knowledge. I advice you to read your textbook well. Most probably if you understand the concepts, you won't face much trouble in the mathematical part.

1. What are the different types of engineering careers I can pursue as a high schooler?

There are many different types of engineering careers that you can pursue as a high schooler, including mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. Each of these fields has its own specialized area of study and career opportunities.

2. What skills do I need to have to be successful in an engineering career?

Some important skills for a successful career in engineering include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, good communication skills, attention to detail, and a strong foundation in math and science. It is also important to have a passion for learning and a strong work ethic.

3. What kind of education do I need to become an engineer?

To become an engineer, you will need to earn a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university. Some engineering careers may also require a master's degree or a professional engineering license. It is important to research the specific education and licensing requirements for the type of engineering you are interested in pursuing.

4. What can I do in high school to prepare for a future career in engineering?

There are many things you can do in high school to prepare for a career in engineering, such as taking advanced math and science courses, participating in engineering-related extracurricular activities or clubs, and seeking out internships or job shadowing opportunities in the field of engineering.

5. What kind of salary can I expect as an engineer?

The salary for engineers can vary depending on the specific field of engineering, level of education, and years of experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for engineers in 2020 was $91,010. However, salaries can range from around $55,000 to over $150,000 depending on these factors.