Question about Finite State Automatons

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of a finite state automaton (FSA) and the possibility of using outputs in the first state to keep track of the number of 0s encountered before transitioning to the next state. However, it is pointed out that this solution would not work for any value of n as the counter would eventually overflow. The theoretical implications of this are also discussed.
Wallboy
I'm reading about automata theory and am currently at the part about what a FSA can recognize and what it cannot. They use the example of some language: {0n1n | n ≥ 0} which an FSA cannot be built for.

When I first started learning about state machines before reading into theory of computation was from the Mealy/Moore models where we can have outputs associated with each state.

So my question is, could you not have an output associated with the first state such that every time it would see a 0, an output signal would be generated to increment some external counter, so that when the machine finally does see a 1, it jumps to the next state and uses that counter information to know how many 1's to repeat?

I'm guessing I am jumping ahead and adding more power to the 5-tuple description of what a FSA really is?

Technology news on Phys.org
Wallboy said:
So my question is, could you not have an output associated with the first state such that every time it would see a 0, an output signal would be generated to increment some external counter, so that when the machine finally does see a 1, it jumps to the next state and uses that counter information to know how many 1's to repeat?

What do you do when the counter overflows? Your idea works up to the maximum number the counter can hold, but it doesn't solve the problem for ANY value of n.

You could easily make a counter big enough for any practical purpose (e.g. it would work if the number of 0s and 1s was as big as the number of atoms in the observable universe) but the question is about the theoretical situation when there is no limit to the size of n.

Ahh that's right. I just over thought it and forgot that the counter itself would have to go to infinity. Thanks.

1. What is a Finite State Automaton (FSA)?

A Finite State Automaton, also known as a Finite State Machine, is a mathematical model used to represent and analyze systems that have a finite number of states and transitions between those states. It consists of a set of states, a set of input symbols, a set of transition rules, an initial state, and a set of final states.

2. How is an FSA different from a regular computer?

An FSA is a theoretical model that operates on a limited and predetermined set of input symbols, whereas a regular computer can process any input and has no limit on the number of states it can have. Additionally, a regular computer has the ability to store and manipulate data, while an FSA does not have this capability.

3. What are the applications of Finite State Automatons?

FSAs have various applications in computer science, including natural language processing, pattern recognition, and artificial intelligence. They are also used in the design and analysis of digital circuits, software engineering, and computer networking protocols.

4. Can an FSA recognize and process infinite sequences of input?

No, an FSA can only process a finite number of input symbols. If the input sequence is infinite, the FSA will loop through the same set of states infinitely, and therefore, will not be able to recognize or process the entire sequence.

5. How can an FSA be represented graphically?

An FSA can be represented graphically using a directed graph, where the states are represented as nodes, and the transitions are represented as directed edges. The initial state is indicated by an arrow pointing towards it, and the final states are denoted by double circles.