Question about going into EE/CmpE

• Thread starter Bob Busby
  • Start date
Hello all, I will be going to Uni soon as either an EE or a CmpE (probably CmpE). I appeal to your experienced selfs and ask if you could recommend some books/topics/activities that you think I should read/know/do or that you wish you had had before you started off. I know the physics and basic electronics and programming but I am looking to get an edge. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Answers and Replies

Hello all, I will be going to Uni soon as either an EE or a CmpE (probably CmpE). I appeal to your experienced selfs and ask if you could recommend some books/topics/activities that you think I should read/know/do or that you wish you had had before you started off. I know the physics and basic electronics and programming but I am looking to get an edge. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

I think a great way to get an edge is to develop your intutition. That way, you will understand new concepts more quickly when they come up in classes. A good book for both EE and CmpE is The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill.

The book carlgrace suggested is awesome. I used it as a supplement to my learning throughout my EE undergrad.

My recommendation is, if you can afford it, to buy some hobby kits that provide a fun introduction to CE-type projects. They will help you not only learn new things, but get your head in the game, which will be a huge advantage over other freshmen.

The book carlgrace suggested is awesome. I used it as a supplement to my learning throughout my EE undergrad.

It is a great book, but be sure to keep its limitations in mind. It presents electronics as a mile wide but an inch deep. In reality electronics is a mile wide AND a mile deep. So, Horowitz and Hill is a great learning aid, but don't make the mistake of thinking you understand electronics after you read it. Study hard in your classes!