Question about graphing a shape on the cartesian coordinate system

In summary, to graph a square of any dimension on the cartesian coordinate system, there are a few different options. One way is to represent the system as <x2,y,z>, which will result in a normal cartesian system with the negative region for x < 0 removed. Another option is to represent <x,y,z>, which will result in a contracted transformed version of the x-axis. However, with this method, there may be a loss of information regarding the sign due to the squaring of the term. Additionally, in high-dimensional spaces, a specific type of projection is often used to visualize the attribute in a two or three dimensional space. Other solutions include using the equation |x|+|y|=1 or max{|x
mesa
Gold Member
How would you graph a square of any dimension on the cartesian coordinate system?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey mesa.

What exactly do you mean? Do you mean instead of representing x you represent x2 for a particular vector (where x is the 1st element of the vector)?

chiro said:
Hey mesa.

What exactly do you mean? Do you mean instead of representing x you represent x2 for a particular vector (where x is the 1st element of the vector)?

Any way you like, I just want to see other solutions than mine.

Well you can do it in a few different ways.

If you represent your system as <x2,y,z> then your co-ordinate system will look like a normal Cartesian system with the negative region for x < 0 removed entirely.

However if you want to represent <x,y,z>, then you will get a contracted transformed version of the x-axis, but if you are going from the x2 to x, then you have the branch problem since you lose information of the sign by squaring the term.

What happens is that for x as opposed to its square, the rate of change along the axis is not uniform or linear, but non-linear: in the linear case if you double the magnitude on the x-axis you double the x value but in a non-linear if you double the magnitude the value is not simple double: it is less or greater than.

Maybe mesa means an actual square (quadrilateral)?

Mentallic said:
Maybe mesa means an actual square (quadrilateral)?

Yes, an actual square.
Sorry about that Chiro, I should have read your post more carefully and been more specific.

Ohh I see what you're saying now.

It depends on the number of dimensions and the particular attribute you are trying to visualize.

Typically what happens in high-dimensional spaces, is that a specific kind of projection is used to create a visual of that attribute in a two or three dimensional space.

The short answer is that it depends on the attribute you are trying to visualize, but the kinds of things would most likely be similar if not equivalent to the ones used in a normal cartesian geometry. (It's hard to give specifics without specifics).

chiro said:
Ohh I see what you're saying now.

It depends on the number of dimensions and the particular attribute you are trying to visualize.

Typically what happens in high-dimensional spaces, is that a specific kind of projection is used to create a visual of that attribute in a two or three dimensional space.

The short answer is that it depends on the attribute you are trying to visualize, but the kinds of things would most likely be similar if not equivalent to the ones used in a normal cartesian geometry. (It's hard to give specifics without specifics).

Basically I am looking for (an)other function(s) that will result in a graph of a plain old square on a two dimensional cartesian coordinate system.

If there is more than one solution then pick your favorite, this is new territory for me although it was a great deal of fun working up a solution.

Now my function can graph a square about the origin although I am having difficulty limiting the range/domain outside of it lol. I have also played with trying to make rectangles too off the original function but I changed x to being a dependent variable along with y so transformations and deformations seem to work very differently than what I am used to... Yikes!,
should be fun :)

mesa said:
Basically I am looking for (an)other function(s) that will result in a graph of a plain old square on a two dimensional cartesian coordinate system.

##|x|+|y|=1##

##max \{ |x|,|y|\} = 1##

LCKurtz said:
##|x|+|y|=1##

##max \{ |x|,|y|\} = 1##

That's a nice solution, and takes care of the domain/range problems I was having.
Got anything else?

mesa said:
That's a nice solution, and takes care of the domain/range problems I was having.
Got anything else?

You can rotate and translate it to anywhere and resize it by changing the 1:$$

|(x-a)\cos(\alpha)-(y-b)\sin(\alpha)|+|(x-a)\sin(\alpha)+(y-b)\cos(\alpha)| = 1$$

LCKurtz said:
You can rotate and translate it to anywhere and resize it by changing the 1:$$

|(x-a)\cos(\alpha)-(y-b)\sin(\alpha)|+|(x-a)\sin(\alpha)+(y-b)\cos(\alpha)| = 1$$

Very interesting, okay from your answers I think I see how I might fix my domain/range issues.

As it stands I have:

[(y^2)^(1/2)-n]^2 = x^2

with n being the number that fixes the size of the square. I used a trig based function that produced a square root of -1 to keep the domain/range in check outside the 'square' but it's just tacked on and even though it sort of works it's kind of crappy so I removed it in search of a proper solution.

[tex]|x+y|-|x-y| = 1[/tex]

acabus said:
Isn't there a problem at x=0 or am I missing something?

acabus said:

mesa said:
Isn't there a problem at x=0 or am I missing something?

That's just a typo, he means ##|x+y|+|x-y|=1##. Same as my first one but squared up with the axes.

LCKurtz said:
That's just a typo, he means ##|x+y|+|x-y|=1##. Same as my first one but squared up with the axes.

You're right, thanks.

1. How do I plot a shape on the cartesian coordinate system?

To plot a shape on the cartesian coordinate system, you will need to have the coordinates of the shape's vertices. Start by labeling the x and y axes and then plot each point based on its x and y values. Once all points are plotted, connect them in order to form the shape.

2. What is the purpose of using the cartesian coordinate system?

The cartesian coordinate system is used to graphically represent relationships between two variables. It allows for easy visualization of data and can help identify patterns and trends.

3. How do I label the axes on a cartesian coordinate system?

The horizontal axis is labeled as the x-axis and the vertical axis is labeled as the y-axis. The origin, where the two axes intersect, is labeled as (0,0). The positive direction on the x-axis is to the right and the positive direction on the y-axis is upwards.

4. Can a shape be graphed on the cartesian coordinate system without using all four quadrants?

Yes, a shape can be graphed on the cartesian coordinate system using any number of quadrants. Some shapes may only have points in one quadrant, while others may have points in multiple quadrants.

5. How do I determine the coordinates of a point on the cartesian coordinate system?

To determine the coordinates of a point on the cartesian coordinate system, you will need to know its distance from the origin in the horizontal direction (x-axis) and then in the vertical direction (y-axis). The coordinates are written in the format (x,y), with the x-coordinate always written first.