Question about Ice in a drink cooler

In summary: This allowed the water to drain and help keep the ice cream frozen. In summary, leaving the cold water in a cooler will keep it colder for longer.
qtp
Hi,
This is not directly related to any assignment but I have a question. Is it better (meaning the drinks in the cooler will stay cold longer) to leave the cold water in a cooler or to drain the cold water out of the cooler.

Personally, I am inclined to think that you maintain a higher heat capacity with a cooler full of cold water (provided it is already colder than ambient) than you do with a cooler full of cold air. Please add your .02 c
Thank you,
Preston

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you.

Yes, you are correct.

Yes, one great advantage is the more efficient transfer of heat through a liquid as opposed to air. You can see a good example of this in the quick wine coolers at spirits stores.

thank you for your input :)
Preston

Personally I think that you would need to do an experiment to find out. As the ice melts and turns into water, this water allows for greater heat transfer into the ice, according with the information of TVP45. In other words, allowing the melted water to escape increases the insulation inside the cooling container (the insulation in this case being the air and other non-liquid contents).

Perhaps the other's are right, but I don't see the answer as being very obvious, and certainly the question seems non-trivial from an analytical standpoint.

If the shape and construction of the cooler were non-standard, certainly an expt would be called for.

But since the thermal capacity of water is so high compared to other materials, I think this factor would far outweigh the insulation provided by air and other stuff.

TVP45 said:
Yes, one great advantage is the more efficient transfer of heat through a liquid as opposed to air. You can see a good example of this in the quick wine coolers at spirits stores.

So, you are saying that the drinks would get warm faster due to retaining of the cold water, becasue heat would be transferred inside more efficiently?

Shooting star said:
So, you are saying that the drinks would get warm faster due to retaining of the cold water, becasue heat would be transferred inside more efficiently?

No, the drinks have a higher temperature than the ice. Thus, heat always flows from the drinks out to the ice where the high latent heat provides a good sink. The effect of the water is to provide efficient transfer (conduction) of that heat.

When you want to freeze something manually, you use a mixture of rock salt and ice with the container inside. When you do this, you find that you must keep water around the container in order for this to work. Old fashioned home-made ice cream freezers actually had a drain hole near the top of the ice compartment.

1. Can I put hot drinks in a cooler with ice?

It is not recommended to put hot drinks in a cooler with ice as it can cause the ice to melt quicker and decrease its effectiveness in keeping your drinks cold.

2. How long will ice last in a drink cooler?

The length of time that ice will last in a drink cooler depends on several factors such as the quality and amount of ice, the outside temperature, and how often the cooler is opened. Generally, ice can last anywhere from 1-3 days in a cooler.

3. What is the best type of ice to use in a drink cooler?

The best type of ice to use in a drink cooler is cubed or crushed ice. These types of ice have the most surface area, allowing for better cooling and melting at a slower rate compared to large blocks of ice.

4. How can I make my ice last longer in a drink cooler?

To make your ice last longer in a drink cooler, you can pre-cool the cooler by filling it with ice and letting it sit for a few hours before adding your drinks. You can also limit opening and closing the cooler as much as possible and avoid placing it in direct sunlight.

5. Is it safe to drink melted ice from a drink cooler?

As long as the ice was made from clean, potable water, it is generally safe to drink melted ice from a drink cooler. However, it is best to use fresh ice for drinking as melted ice may have come into contact with bacteria or other contaminants.