Question about indeterminate form

Main Question or Discussion Point

why $$1^\infty$$ is indeterminate form?

Answers and Replies

1 raised to any finite power is 1, of course, but some limits are of this indeterminate form, and have a limit that isn't equal to 1.

The most famous example is this limit:
$$\lim_{x \to \infty}(1 + \frac{1}{x})^x$$

The base is approaching 1 and the exponent is "approaching" infinity. It can be shown that the value of this limit expression is the number e.

Thanks ,, I got it now
(:

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Anything with ##\infty## is an indeterminate form, because ##\infty## is not a number.

Mentallic
Homework Helper
Anything with ##\infty## is an indeterminate form, because ##\infty## is not a number.
I don't believe that [itex]1/\infty[/itex] is an indeterminate form because its value cannot be anything other than 0.

I don't believe that [itex]1/\infty[/itex] is an indeterminate form because its value cannot be anything other than 0.
I agree. It's not indeterminate because you can determine what the limit will be.

That's not true. While ##[\infty - \infty]## and ##[\frac{\infty}{\infty}]## are indeterminate forms, ##[\infty + \infty]## and ##[\infty * \infty]## are not considered indeterminate.

That's not true. While ##[\infty - \infty]## and ##[\frac{\infty}{\infty}]## are indeterminate forms, ##[\infty + \infty]## and ##[\infty * \infty]## are not considered indeterminate.
I agree. It's not indeterminate because you can determine what the limit will be.
Me too .

How about
$$\frac{0}{\infty}$$

Is it indeterminate too?

I think so

:oldeyes:

Me too .

How about
$$\frac{0}{\infty}$$

Is it indeterminate too?

I think so

:oldeyes:
No, it is not indeterminate. If the numerator approaches 0 and the denominator becomes unbounded, the limit is 0.

Oh, I see,,
Thanks