1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about indeterminate form

1. Dec 20, 2014 #1
    why $$1^\infty$$ is indeterminate form?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

1 raised to any finite power is 1, of course, but some limits are of this indeterminate form, and have a limit that isn't equal to 1.

The most famous example is this limit:
    $$\lim_{x \to \infty}(1 + \frac{1}{x})^x$$

The base is approaching 1 and the exponent is "approaching" infinity. It can be shown that the value of this limit expression is the number e.

4. Dec 20, 2014 #3
    Thanks ,, I got it now
    (:

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Anything with ##\infty## is an indeterminate form, because ##\infty## is not a number.

6. Dec 21, 2014 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I don't believe that [itex]1/\infty[/itex] is an indeterminate form because its value cannot be anything other than 0.

7. Dec 21, 2014 #6

Mark44

I agree. It's not indeterminate because you can determine what the limit will be.

8. Dec 21, 2014 #7

Mark44

That's not true. While ##[\infty - \infty]## and ##[\frac{\infty}{\infty}]## are indeterminate forms, ##[\infty + \infty]## and ##[\infty * \infty]## are not considered indeterminate.

9. Dec 22, 2014 #8
    Me too .

How about
    $$\frac{0}{\infty}$$

Is it indeterminate too?

I think so

:oldeyes:

10. Dec 22, 2014 #9

Mark44

No, it is not indeterminate. If the numerator approaches 0 and the denominator becomes unbounded, the limit is 0.

11. Dec 22, 2014 #10
    Oh, I see,,
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook