Question about indeterminate form

• Thread starter Maged Saeed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, $$1^\infty$$ is an indeterminate form because the base is approaching 1 and the exponent is approaching infinity. However, it can be shown that the limit of this form is the number e. While anything with ##\infty## is typically considered an indeterminate form, not all operations with ##\infty## result in indeterminate forms. For example, ##[\infty + \infty]## and ##[\infty * \infty]## are not indeterminate forms. Additionally, $$\frac{0}{\infty}$$ is not an indeterminate form because the limit can be determined to be 0.
Maged Saeed
why $$1^\infty$$ is indeterminate form?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maged Saeed said:
1 raised to any finite power is 1, of course, but some limits are of this indeterminate form, and have a limit that isn't equal to 1.

The most famous example is this limit:
$$\lim_{x \to \infty}(1 + \frac{1}{x})^x$$

The base is approaching 1 and the exponent is "approaching" infinity. It can be shown that the value of this limit expression is the number e.

Thanks ,, I got it now
(:

Maged Saeed said:

Anything with ##\infty## is an indeterminate form, because ##\infty## is not a number.

PeroK said:
Anything with ##\infty## is an indeterminate form, because ##\infty## is not a number.

I don't believe that [itex]1/\infty[/itex] is an indeterminate form because its value cannot be anything other than 0.

Mentallic said:
I don't believe that [itex]1/\infty[/itex] is an indeterminate form because its value cannot be anything other than 0.
I agree. It's not indeterminate because you can determine what the limit will be.

PeroK said:
That's not true. While ##[\infty - \infty]## and ##[\frac{\infty}{\infty}]## are indeterminate forms, ##[\infty + \infty]## and ##[\infty * \infty]## are not considered indeterminate.

Likes Maged Saeed
Mark44 said:
That's not true. While ##[\infty - \infty]## and ##[\frac{\infty}{\infty}]## are indeterminate forms, ##[\infty + \infty]## and ##[\infty * \infty]## are not considered indeterminate.

Mark44 said:
I agree. It's not indeterminate because you can determine what the limit will be.

Me too .

How about
$$\frac{0}{\infty}$$

Is it indeterminate too?

I think so

:oldeyes:

Maged Saeed said:
Me too .

How about
$$\frac{0}{\infty}$$

Is it indeterminate too?

I think so

:oldeyes:
No, it is not indeterminate. If the numerator approaches 0 and the denominator becomes unbounded, the limit is 0.

Likes Maged Saeed
Oh, I see,,
Thanks

1. What is an indeterminate form?

An indeterminate form is a mathematical expression in which the limit cannot be determined without further analysis. This typically occurs when the expression includes a variable that approaches a certain value, but the outcome of the expression is unclear.

2. How do you solve an indeterminate form?

To solve an indeterminate form, you must use mathematical techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or algebraic manipulation. These methods help to simplify the expression and determine the limit.

3. What are the types of indeterminate forms?

There are six types of indeterminate forms: 0/0, ∞/∞, 0*∞, ∞-∞, 0^0, and ∞^0. Each type has its own unique properties and requires different methods to solve.

4. Why are indeterminate forms important in calculus?

Indeterminate forms are important in calculus because they represent situations where the limit of a function cannot be determined by simply plugging in values. These forms require a deeper understanding of the function and its behavior to determine the limit.

5. Can all indeterminate forms be solved?

No, not all indeterminate forms can be solved. Some forms may have infinite limits or no limit at all. In these cases, it is important to understand the behavior of the function and determine the limit using other methods such as graphing or numerical approximation.