Indeterminate Forms: List & Examples

• Thread starter PFuser1232
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forms
In summary, the conversation discusses various indeterminate forms, including ##\frac{0}{0}##, ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}##, ##0⋅\infty##, ##\infty - \infty##, ##0^0##, ##1^{\infty}##, and ##\infty^0##. It also explains how to evaluate the limit of ##\lim_{x→0} x^2 \cos{\frac{1}{x}}## using the squeeze theorem, and clarifies that this is not an indeterminate form. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the definition of "indeterminate" and how it applies to different forms.
PFuser1232
Here's a list of all the indeterminate forms I'm familiar with:
##\frac{0}{0}##, ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}##, ##0⋅\infty##, ##\infty - \infty##, ##0^0##, ##1^{\infty}##, ##\infty^0##
Suppose we want to evaluate the limit:
$$\lim_{x→0} x^2 \cos{\frac{1}{x}}$$
We can find the value of this limit by applying the squeeze theorem. The limit would otherwise be indeterminate; if we plug in ##x = 0##, we get:
$$0⋅\cos{\frac{1}{0}}$$
Under what category does this indeterminate form lie?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not an indeterminate form. It has a unique limit: 0.
The reason is, whatever the argument of the cosine is, we know that the result lies between -1 and 1. So we know that we are multiplying zero by a number between -1 and 1 which is obviously zero.

Shyan said:
The reason is, whatever the argument of the cosine is, we know that the result lies between -1 and 1. So we know that we are multiplying zero by a number between -1 and 1 which is obviously zero.
Shyan said:

I'm confused. The limit of, say, ##x^3 - x^2## as ##x## approaches infinity is also unique; it's infinity. However, at first glance, it seems to be indeterminate (##\infty - \infty##).
I only arrived at the result by factoring out ##x^3##.
Perhaps the definition of "indeterminate" is not so clear to me.
Could you please elaborate further?

MohammedRady97 said:
I'm confused. The limit of, say, ##x^3 - x^2## as ##x## approaches infinity is also unique; it's infinity. However, at first glance, it seems to be indeterminate (##\infty - \infty##).
The difference is that, in the case of indeterminate forms, at first you encounter one of the seven forms. Then you should find a way to see what's the value of the indeterminate form in this particular example. Its sometimes finite and sometimes infinite and sometimes doesn't exist. About your example, we first encounter ## \infty - \infty ## which is indeterminate i.e. we don't know its value. Then we search for an alternative way to find its value and we figure out that because ## x^3 ## rises faster than ## x^2 ##, at infinity they should be very far apart which means the answer is infinity.
But about ## \displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} x^2 \cos{\frac 1 x} ##, we can directly find out that the answer is zero. Because cosine is always between -1 and 1, and here is no different. We just don't know what is the value of the cosine but we know its between -1 and 1. So just call its value a. Then we have ## \displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} x^2 a ## which is obviously zero.

Likes PFuser1232
MohammedRady97 said:
This particular function has limit, as x goes to infinity of 0, but there are other functions, such as [itex]x^2- (x^2+ 1)[/itex], that are "of the form" [itex]\infty- \infty[/itex] that converge to other limits. "[itex]\infty- \infty[/itex]" and "0/0" are "indeterminate" because you cannot determine such a limit by just setting [itex]x= 0[/itex] or [itex]x= \infty[/itex] in the sequence.

1. What are indeterminate forms?

Indeterminate forms are mathematical expressions that cannot be evaluated using basic algebraic techniques. They often involve limits that approach infinity or zero, and the exact value of the expression cannot be determined.

2. What are some common examples of indeterminate forms?

Some common examples of indeterminate forms include 0/0, ∞/∞, ∞ - ∞, and 1^∞. These expressions cannot be simplified using basic algebraic rules and require more advanced techniques to evaluate.

3. Why are indeterminate forms important in calculus?

Indeterminate forms are important in calculus because they often arise in limits, which are essential in finding the behavior of a function at a specific point. They also help us understand the concept of infinity and how it relates to mathematical expressions.

4. How do we evaluate indeterminate forms?

To evaluate indeterminate forms, we use techniques such as L'Hopital's rule, which involves taking the derivative of the top and bottom of the fraction separately and then evaluating the limit again. Other methods include algebraic manipulation and using trigonometric identities.

5. Can all indeterminate forms be evaluated?

No, not all indeterminate forms can be evaluated. Some forms may require more advanced mathematical techniques and may not have a definite or finite value. In these cases, we say that the expression is undefined or does not exist.