Is $14 an Hour Fair for a Software Engineering Internship?

• Thread starter camel-man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary: Yeah, tell me about it. One was in academia, the other was in industry...45 years ago I walked into the data processing center at Lowell High School and asked if there was any work. They gave me an application to fill out and an interview the next day. I started at $3.15/hr, which was the state minimum wage at the time.
camel-man
I was offered a software engineering internship (by a respectable company) that pays $14 an hour. To me this seems rather low, according to personal testimonies and research on the web. I am wondering what your experience is with internships and what an average wage is.

Also, I am wondering if this is a testament to the company and how well they pay their full time employees. If that is the case I am debating on getting involved with them. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
It will probably vary significantly based on your location/country. In Canada, undergraduates are paid usually a standard of ~$2000 a month for research positions (never by the hour).

One summer I had a job at an aluminum extrusion factory that paid over $18/hour but that was the highest I saw for entry level without experience.

I have no experience with the software industry, but I would take a summer internship for the experience over what wage I get paid (if I get paid at all).

I'm not sure about software engineering, but the range of salaries I've received for internships have been between 1000 dollars a month and 1.5k per week (+ housing and travel bonus). So it's definitely within that range...

As an intern I opperated as a NVG design engineer and I only got paid $15 an hour. I got real design experience that helped me land a good job out of college.
My friend made 22.50 and copied papers all day. At the end he had nothing to show for it but a little extra money.

Internships vary in payment, the experience is 10x more important. Ask them if you will be doing real work. While there (if you are good enough) keep asking for real/harder work. trust me it'll pay off. note ask respectfully and only if you think you can handle it.

Damn, I have no idea how you guys are able to pull of these kind of wages... These all seem very high to me, I've never made that much in my life.

That seems below average, but it is not so low that I would question the company. Not every company can pay an above-average rate.

camel-man said:
I was offered a software engineering internship (by a respectable company) that pays $14 an hour. To me this seems rather low, according to personal testimonies and research on the web. I am wondering what your experience is with internships and what an average wage is.

Also, I am wondering if this is a testament to the company and how well they pay their full time employees. If that is the case I am debating on getting involved with them. Thoughts?

Well, what are your credentials and experience compared with the full time employees?
Do you have a degree?
Do the employees have degrees?
How much experience do you have in software engineering?

If you walked in the door of any business in the US, with no skills and no experience, they are obligated to pay you a min. wage of $7.25 / hour, assuming the business is subject to the min. wage law. The company you intern for has made a decision to help you further your education by giving you an opportunity to work for them and gain some experience in the field. You are being paid $14 / hr. to boot. In the old days, interning was also known as apprenticeship, and all the apprentice could expect was room and board from the master craftsman training him.

If you feel this is a bad deal, turn the offer down. There aren't many jobs out there which pay $14 / hr. for someone with few skills and no credentials.

If you want to pursue a full-time job with this company after you have earned professional credentials, that is the time to worry about starting salary.

Likes 1 person
I had 2 internships (different companies, different fields) in electrical engineering and from my experience $14/hr seems on the low end. Both of mine were around 18-19/hr and most of my friends from school were in the same range. Huge companies like intel, Marathon, ExxonMobil etc pay closer to 30/hr. Also, some companies determine pay by what year you are in; the closer to graduating the higher your wage. I would estimate that the average internship pay is around $17-$19/hr for engineers.

lasymphonie said:
I'm not sure about software engineering, but the range of salaries I've received for internships have been between 1000 dollars a month and 1.5k per week (+ housing and travel bonus). So it's definitely within that range...

Haha 12,000 to 72,000. That's quite a range there bud :devil:

Travis_King said:
Haha 12,000 to 72,000. That's quite a range there bud :devil:

Yeah, tell me about it. One was in academia, the other was in industry...

45 years ago I walked into the data processing center at Lowell High School and asked if there was anything I could do to help. After working as a volunteer there for three years, I graduated and within a week I was earning more than most teachers at that school.
I am, to this date, still a software engineer - with many storied experiences. And if that doesn't sound like your vision for your future, a certain Bill Gates, also from the Boston area, broke into the same field at about the same time.
I wouldn't be comparing what others are getting paid for their internship. I would be comparing only what other opportunities I had for getting paid for developing software.

.Scott said:
I wouldn't be comparing what others are getting paid for their internship. I would be comparing only what other opportunities I had for getting paid for developing software.

I 100% agree

FAQ: Is $14 an Hour Fair for a Software Engineering Internship?

Question 1: What is the average wage for an internship?

The average wage for an internship varies depending on the industry, location, and type of internship. According to a study by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, the average hourly wage for internships in the United States is $19.06.

Question 2: Do all internships offer a wage?

No, not all internships offer a wage. Some internships may be unpaid, while others may offer a stipend or a small hourly wage. It is important to research the specific internship you are applying for to determine if it offers a wage.

Question 3: Can I negotiate my internship wage?

It is possible to negotiate your internship wage, but it ultimately depends on the company and their policies. It is important to research the company and industry standards before attempting to negotiate your wage.

Question 4: Are there any laws or regulations regarding internship wages?

In the United States, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) sets guidelines for internships and whether they should be paid or unpaid. According to the FLSA, unpaid internships must primarily benefit the intern and not the company, and the intern must not displace regular employees.

Question 5: Can internships lead to full-time paid positions?

Yes, internships can often lead to full-time paid positions. Companies often use internships as a way to recruit and train potential employees. It is important to perform well and make a good impression during your internship to increase your chances of being hired for a full-time position.