1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about linear mappings and inner product spaces

1. Jul 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I am having difficulty with the following proof:

Let V be an inner product space (real of dimension n) with two inner products in V, <,> and [,]. Prove that there exists a linear mapping on V such that [L(x),L(y)] = <x,y> for all x,y in V.

I am stuck as to where to go with the proof. I know that I need to construct a linear mapping with the above property, however I'm not sure where to go from there. Any insight into this would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: let ##\{e_1,\ldots,e_n\}## be an orthonormal (with respect to ##\langle , \rangle##) basis for ##V##. It suffices to find a linear map ##L## such that
    $$[L(e_i), L(e_j)] = \langle e_i, e_j\rangle = \delta_{ij}$$
    One way to proceed from here is to reformulate the problem in terms of matrices.

4. Jul 19, 2014 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a simple solution that involves two orthonormal bases, one that's orthonormal with respect to <,>, and one that's orthonormal with respect to [,].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted