Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about logarithmic differentiation

1. Mar 8, 2015 #1
    I have a question about logarithmic differentiation, especially concerning the absolute value involved. For example, if we have the function ##y = 2^x \sin x##, the domain is all real numbers. So what happens when we take ##\ln## of both sides of the equation? The antilogarithm must be greater than ##0##, but the domain of the function is all real numbers. How do we account for this? I know the answer has something to do with absolute value, but I am not sure how...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ln of negative numbers gets you into complex analysis. I suggest you make your question more specific.

4. Mar 8, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Assuming that you're concerned only with real-valued functions, since the domain of ln is positive reals, ##\ln(2^x\sin(x))## is defined only for intervals in which sin(x) > 0, open intervals of the form ##(2k\pi, (2k + 1)\pi)##, with k in the integers. For the other intervals, ##\ln(2^x\sin(x))## is not defined, resulting in gaps in the graph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook