Logarithmic Functions: Solving Questions & Finding Carrying Capacity

In summary, the conversation revolved around two questions, one about using laws of logarithms to simplify an expression and the other about finding the carrying capacity of a population model. The first question was solved by using the inverse of the second law of logarithms, while the second question was solved by taking the limit as time approaches infinity. The answer for the carrying capacity was found to be 10,000.
TheFallen018
Hey guys, I have a couple of questions here. One, I was just wondering if someone could elaborate on, and the second, I worked it out, but more by guessing. I was hoping someone would be able to help explain both.

Here is the first of the two questions
View attachment 7620

So, part a was fairly straightforward. I calculated the differential to be (-2x+3)/x(x-1)

However, I'm not sure if I broke down the expression as much as I could have with laws of logarithms. I could only think of using the inverse of the second law of logarithms, where log(a) - log(b)= log(a/b)

Is there a way to break that up further?

As for the second question, it has to do with carrying capacity of a population model.
View attachment 7621

I got all the parts correct for this one, but I'm not sure how to get the carrying capacity of the function. I figured it to be 10,000, as that was what the numerator was. However, I'm sure that's not how it's meant to work. Despite the fact that I got the right answer, I'm not satisfied with the answer I gave.

So, how would be the correct way about solving that?

Thanks for your time. I really appreciate the help.

Kind regards,

TheFallen018

Attachments

• Math2.jpg
    Math2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Math2.jpg
    Math2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 66
Physics news on Phys.org
TheFallen018 said:
Hey guys, I have a couple of questions here. One, I was just wondering if someone could elaborate on, and the second, I worked it out, but more by guessing. I was hoping someone would be able to help explain both.

Here is the first of the two questions

So, part a was fairly straightforward. I calculated the differential to be (-2x+3)/x(x-1)

However, I'm not sure if I broke down the expression as much as I could have with laws of logarithms. I could only think of using the inverse of the second law of logarithms, where log(a) - log(b)= log(a/b)

Is there a way to break that up further?

You can also apply:

\(\displaystyle \log_a\left(b^c\right)=c\cdot\log_a(b)\)

TheFallen018 said:
As for the second question, it has to do with carrying capacity of a population model.

I got all the parts correct for this one, but I'm not sure how to get the carrying capacity of the function. I figured it to be 10,000, as that was what the numerator was. However, I'm sure that's not how it's meant to work. Despite the fact that I got the right answer, I'm not satisfied with the answer I gave.

So, how would be the correct way about solving that?

Thanks for your time. I really appreciate the help.

Kind regards,

TheFallen018

To find the carrying capacity $C$, I would write:

\(\displaystyle C=\lim_{t\to\infty}P(t)\)

We see the numerator is constant, and the denominator goes to 1, so yes, 10,000 is correct. :)

MarkFL said:
You can also apply:

\(\displaystyle \log_a\left(b^c\right)=c\cdot\log_a(b)\)
To find the carrying capacity $C$, I would write:

\(\displaystyle C=\lim_{t\to\infty}P(t)\)

We see the numerator is constant, and the denominator goes to 1, so yes, 10,000 is correct. :)

Thanks Mark, that was exactly what I was looking for. You're awesome :)

What is a logarithmic function?

A logarithmic function is a mathematical function that calculates the exponent needed to produce a certain number. It is the inverse of an exponential function.

How do you solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can solve for the unknown variable by using algebraic techniques.

What is carrying capacity?

Carrying capacity is the maximum population size that an environment can sustainably support. It is determined by the available resources and limiting factors such as food, water, and living space.

How do you use logarithmic functions to find carrying capacity?

To find the carrying capacity using logarithmic functions, you can use the logistic growth model. This model takes into account the initial population size, the growth rate, and the carrying capacity to predict the population size over time.

What are some real-world applications of logarithmic functions and carrying capacity?

Logarithmic functions and carrying capacity are used in various fields such as biology, economics, and ecology. They can be used to model population growth, predict resource depletion, and analyze economic growth and sustainability.