Question about making a coaxial magnetic field in a pipe

In summary, the concept is to create a magnetic field inside of a stainless steel pipe to help collimate an ion beam.
ItsGameTime
Hi, for a particular project, I would like to create a 1~2 Tesla magnetic field in a stainless steel pipe along the z axis. I was wondering if my concept would work, or if anyone had better ideas.

Here's my concept.

Fig1. So I got a few pipes about 1 inch in diameter. I would like to have a 1T magnetic field through it along the vertical direction (z axis)

Fig2. My idea was to get a 2 cylinder blocks of iron, drill some holes in it to allow the pipes to fit in as shown in the diagram.

Fig3. Then attach some wire coils to the iron cylinders like as shown in the diagram.

My question is, if I actually create a device like this, how would the magnetic field be...

...directly above the cylinder (region A)
...in the pipe space area inside the cylinder (region B)
...in the pipe area between the two cylinders (region C)
...in the pipe space area inside the bottom cylinder (region D)
...directly below the bottom cylinder (region E)

Thanks in advance all!

20170614_205258_zpszuydxcsy.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
If you wind a coil around an iron pipe I think most of the field will stay in the iron with the field in the hole being small.

I think you need more thought on the coil design than just "attach some coils".

ItsGameTime said:
Hi, for a particular project, I would like to create a 1~2 Tesla magnetic field in a stainless steel pipe along the z axis.
CWatters said:
If you wind a coil around an iron pipe I think most of the field will stay in the iron with the field in the hole being small.
I agree with @CWatters -- winding a coil around a ferrous metal pipe is not the right approach.

@ItsGameTime -- What is your project? What are you trying to do? If the pipe has to be metal, can it be a non-ferrous metal (like Al)?

ItsGameTime said:
create a 1~2 Tesla magnetic field
BTW, that's a pretty strong magnetic field that will take quite a bit of power to produce. Why do you need such a strong field filling a long volume?

berkeman said:
BTW, that's a pretty strong magnetic field that will take quite a bit of power to produce. Why do you need such a strong field filling a long volume?

sounds like a coil gun :rolleyes: :smile:

Likes berkeman
Thanks for all the replies so far. I guess I should explain a bit more.

I am trying to collimate an ion beam. I need gas ions to go straight through one end of the pipe and out the other. The pipes can be non magnetic. The pipes don't need to be that long, I think actually several centimeters should be fine. The diameter of the pipes hasn't been confirmed, but shouldn't exceed 3 or 4 cm.

I redrew the picture again. The upper half is the side view, the bottom half is the top view. I hope ions can go through the holes and that the magnetic field will help it "straighten out."

The giant helmholtz coil can extent out any size.

I said 1T for planning purposes. Realistically I am hoping this can be accomplished with around 50 to 100 mT.

Or is my physics completely out of whack here?

20170615_220215_zpsrgjoxvbs.jpg

1. How does a coaxial magnetic field work?

A coaxial magnetic field is created by running electric current through a wire that is wrapped around a pipe in a spiral or helical pattern. The direction of the current flow and the number of turns in the wire determine the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

2. What is the purpose of creating a coaxial magnetic field in a pipe?

The primary purpose of creating a coaxial magnetic field in a pipe is to induce a flow of electrically conductive fluid in the pipe. This can be used in various applications such as pumping, mixing, and separating fluids.

3. How is the magnetic field strength controlled in a coaxial setup?

The strength of the magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the current flow and the number of turns in the wire. Increasing the current or the number of turns will result in a stronger magnetic field, while decreasing them will result in a weaker field.

4. Are there any limitations to creating a coaxial magnetic field in a pipe?

One limitation is that the pipe must be made of a non-magnetic material, such as plastic or glass, in order to prevent interference with the magnetic field. Additionally, the size and shape of the pipe may also affect the efficiency of the coaxial magnetic field.

5. What are some common applications of a coaxial magnetic field in a pipe?

Coaxial magnetic fields in pipes are commonly used in industries such as chemical processing, water treatment, and biomedical engineering. They can be used for tasks such as stirring and mixing fluids, separating particles based on their electrical properties, and controlling the flow of fluids in pipes.