Question about parameterizing curve of intersection.

In summary, Stewart could not find any resources or tutorials on this subject on his own, and he is not familiar with the concepts of arc-length and curvature. He thinks that we can use our original function r(t) to calculate the parameters for the shadow curve C2, but he needs to know the original function in order to do so. Finally, Stewart says that there is no abstraction in this problem, since you are given x and y in terms of t and told how to calculate z in terms of x and y.
ozone
I couldn't find any resources in my book or online dedicated to this subject. I honestly don't even know where to begin for this problem.

Homework Statement

Let [itex] f(x,y) = 4 / (1+ x^2 + y^2) [/itex] and let S be the surface given by the graph of f(x,y)

b) Let C2 denote the curve in the xy-plane given by [itex] r(t)= t, 3/2 − t^2[/itex] and let C denote the curve on the surface S which has C2 as its shadow in the xy-plane. Find the parametric equations r = r(t) for C

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
how about the "graph" over the curve,

[tex](r(t),f(r(t))=(x(t),y(t),z(x(t),y(t)))[/tex]

Then it is a curve, on the surface, and it's shadow is r(t), correct?

Last edited:
Hrmm.. I'm not too sure honestly. I think this all has to do with arc-length/curvature. If that is correct then I think I will go study more about that and see if I can't figure it out

Last edited:
I would not discourage you from exploring the concepts, and so develop your understanding of the subject as a whole. However, I think you'll find, while my hint is somewhat abstract, it is more or less correct, and that curvature and arc-length do not apply here. But again, please do investigate and compare the concepts!

Also, my use of the word graph is not a bad definition for you to understand, Stewart uses it in his textbook on calculus; here is the definition of graph (there are other definitions) on wikipeida:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_of_a_function

In other words, what is the graph associated with the function (x,y) --> z=f(x,y)

I don't deal well with this sort of abstraction.

In my mind what you are saying is we can come up with a new function which is simply our old function r(t) plus a new variable which is the sum of the variables of our original function.

Correct me if I am wrong.

But it would appear to me that we need our original function to come up with the parameters, since S is the measure of the surface of [itex] f(x,y)=4/(1+x2+y2) [/itex].

Oh and one last thing. A "shadow" is simply a projection correct?

There is no abstraction here! You are given x and y in terms of t and told how to calculate z in terms of x and y. So what is z in terms of t? It is just basic algebra.

1. What is the purpose of parameterizing a curve of intersection?

Parameterizing a curve of intersection allows us to describe the curve using a single parameter, making it easier to analyze and work with mathematically.

2. How do you determine the parameterization of a curve of intersection?

The parameterization of a curve of intersection can be determined by setting one variable equal to the other and solving for a common variable. This will give you an equation with one variable, which can then be expressed in terms of a parameter.

3. What is the importance of finding the parameterization of a curve of intersection?

Finding the parameterization of a curve of intersection allows us to represent the curve in a more simplified and general form, making it easier to calculate properties such as length, area, and curvature.

4. Can there be more than one parameterization for a curve of intersection?

Yes, there can be multiple possible parameterizations for a curve of intersection. This is because different choices of variables and parameters can lead to different forms of the same curve.

5. How does the parameterization of a curve of intersection relate to its orientation?

The parameterization of a curve of intersection can affect the orientation of the curve. For example, if the parameter increases in the same direction as the curve, the orientation will be positive, and if the parameter decreases in the same direction as the curve, the orientation will be negative.