1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about parametization vs vector field.

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1
    I thought i had a strong understanding of parameterizing curves and sketching vector fields. However when I was going through my practice test I came across this problem which I don't full grasp

Let [itex] F^ ⃗=xi ^⃗+(x+y) j ^⃗+(x-y+z)k^⃗ . [/itex]

a) Find a point at which F ⃗ is parallel to the line described by the parametric equations x=5+t,y=6-2t,z=7-3t.

I believe I actually solved this problem. I pulled out the vector piece of the parameterized line <t,-2t,3t>
    then I set x = t, y = -3t, z = -t (making the i, j, and k components of our F equal the i, j, and k components of our parametric line)

However when I got to the next part I was completely stumped.

b) Find a point at which F ⃗ is perpendicular to the line described by the parametric equations x=5+t,y=6-2t,z=7-3t.

I know that I could try to set up a cros product or I could try to set up a dot product which is equal to 0. However I run into problems since one curve is parameterized in terms of t and the other one is not. Furthermore I have no idea how to parameterize a vector field!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2
    You can set up the cross product and substitute back in t in terms of x,y,z.

4. Jul 7, 2012 #3
    alright thank you.. seems easy enough

edit:

Your suggestion helped give me some confidence.. but it was the dot product after substitution which helped me to find a solution

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook