Question about potential energy in capacitors

In summary, a capacitor stores potential energy as work is done to charge it. The work is given by the product of the charge and the potential difference, and can be written as V*Q or J=V*Q.
Mangoes
Hello,

I'm studying capacitors in my freshman physics class and I'm not quite following my book here.

My book states that we can calculate the potential energy U stored within a capacitor by calculating the work done to charge it. Let q and v be the charge and the potential difference, respectively, at an intermediate stage during charging.

To transfer an additional element of charge dq, the work dW required is given by

dW = v dq

I'm not quite seeing how they got the above equation though. I'm aware that the work from point a to b divided by a unit charge gives the difference in voltage, but I'm not seeing how they can get the above equation from that and I'm clueless as to how else they'd get it from.

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Intuitively you probably already understand the concept expressed in that equation. For a given increment of work you can move a given increment of charge with a particular voltage. If you increase the voltage, you can move less charge for the same amount of work.

If you then move on to unit analysis, you can see that work is joules, charge is coulombs, and volts can be expressed in many different ways, one of which is joules/coulomb (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volt). so just given the units you get V =J/C which can also be written J = V*C which is equiv. to W = V*Q or dW = vdQ.

Your description of work from a to b breaks down to V = J/C

Likes 1 person
Hello Mangoes! :smile:
Mangoes said:
To transfer an additional element of charge dq, the work dW required is given by

dW = v dq

I'm not quite seeing how they got the above equation though. I'm aware that the work from point a to b divided by a unit charge gives the difference in voltage …

difference in energy = work done (∆E = W)

voltage (= electric potential energy difference) is defined as energy per charge (V = ∆E/Q, or ∆E = QV)

this assumes the charge, Q, is constant: if it isn't (as in a capacitor), we have to write a differential equation:
for a small increase dQ in charge, the small increase in energy is dE = VdQ​
(strictly, V is changing slightly, so it's between VdQ and (V+dV)dQ, but the difference is dVdQ, a double-differential which we ignore)

Likes 1 person
which is a much better explanation!

Ah, the answer was right in front of my face. It follows from the definition of voltage.

Thanks a lot for the help!

1. What is the definition of potential energy in capacitors?

Potential energy in capacitors is the energy stored in an electric field when a capacitor is charged. It represents the work that can be done by the capacitor as it discharges and releases its stored energy.

2. How is potential energy calculated in capacitors?

The potential energy of a capacitor can be calculated by using the formula U = 1/2 * C * V^2, where U is the potential energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts.

3. Can potential energy in capacitors be negative?

No, potential energy in capacitors cannot be negative. Capacitors can only store positive charges, so the potential energy stored in them is always positive.

4. What factors affect the potential energy in a capacitor?

The potential energy in a capacitor is affected by the capacitance, voltage, and distance between the capacitor plates. Increasing any of these factors will result in an increase in potential energy, while decreasing them will result in a decrease in potential energy.

5. How is potential energy released from a capacitor?

Potential energy is released from a capacitor when it is connected to a circuit and allowed to discharge. The stored energy is converted into electrical energy and flows through the circuit until the capacitor is completely discharged.