Energy of parallel plate capacitor

In summary: The factor of 1/2 arises in exactly the same way as in method 1, where ∫v(q)dq = 1/2 QV. Since ∫ρdΓ = Q, W = 1/2 ∫ρVdΓ.
Pushoam
Energy of a parallel plate capacitor with charge Q and potential difference V can be calculated in two ways:
1)Work done in bringing charge dq from infinty to the capacitor when there is potential V= q/C on the positive plate and V= 0 on the negative plate is dW = (q/C)dq
integrrating from 0 to Q gives W = (1/2)Q2/C

2)Using eqn.(2.43) of Griffith's Introduction to electrodynamics , 3 ed.,
W= ## \frac 1 2\int_Γ ρV \, dΓ =\frac 1 2 \int_{q=0}^Q V \, dq = \frac 1 2 \int \frac q C \, dq = \frac 1 2 \frac {Q^2} {2C} = \frac 1 4 \frac {Q^2} {C}##,
where Γ is the volume over which the integration has to be done
How to decide which method is right?
Can anyone tell me why there is a factor of (1/2) in the above equation?

upload_2017-5-26_21-40-44.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are applying 2.43 wrongly. It is not considering adding charge to the capacitor, and changing V; it is considering the fully charged state, and integrating ρV over the volume. Therefore ∫ρVdΓ is not equal to ∫Vdq; q is constant. Assuming V is constant over the volume, ∫ρVdΓ = QV = Q2/C, so W is the same as for method 1.

Likes Chandra Prayaga
Thanks for reply,
mjc123 said:
Assuming V is constant over the volume, ∫ρVdΓ = QV = Q2/C, so W is the same as for method 1.
V is not constant over the volume.It is E which is constant.
dW = ρV dΓ is the work done by me when I bring a charge dq = ρ dΓ from a point where potential is zero to the point where potential is V.
In case of a capacitor, I am bringing a charge dq from negative plate where potential is V= q/C, where q is charge of the capacitor at this time.
Hence, ρV dΓ = q/C dq .
What is wrong with this argument?

According to what you said is,
ρ = Qδ(y)δ(z)[ δ(x-d) - δ(x)],
where the positive plate is at (d,0,0) and negative plate is (0,0,0).
Now
##\frac 1 2\int_Γ ρV \, dΓ =\frac 1 2 \int_Γ Qδ(y)δ(z)[ δ(x-d) - δ(x)] V \, d Γ= \frac 1 2 QV##

Last edited:
Integrating over the volume (where ρ and V are the final charge density and potential) is not equivalent to integrating over the charge as you charge up. (And V is constant over the volume of a conductor, E is zero.)
Pushoam said:
In case of a capacitor, I am bringing a charge dq from negative plate where potential is V= q/C, where q is charge of the capacitor at this time.
Hence, ρV dΓ = q/C dq .
What is wrong with this argument?
I think what is wrong with it is that V varies with q during charging. But V is constant (the final potential) in 2.43. Perhaps it would be clearer if you used, say, v and V analogously to q and Q. So V = Q/C is the final potential at final charge Q, and v = q/C is the instantaneous potential at charge level q. Hence your equation would be ρv dΓ = q/C dq, whereas the integral in 2.43 is ρV dΓ, which is not the same thing. The factor of 1/2 arises in exactly the same way as in method 1, where ∫v(q)dq = 1/2 QV. Since ∫ρdΓ = Q, W = 1/2 ∫ρVdΓ.

Likes Pushoam
Now, I got it.
Thank you.
I was mistaking V for v.

1. What is the formula for calculating the energy of a parallel plate capacitor?

The formula for calculating the energy of a parallel plate capacitor is: U = 1/2 * C * V2, where U is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts.

2. How does the distance between the plates affect the energy of a parallel plate capacitor?

The energy of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. As the distance between the plates increases, the energy of the capacitor decreases, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the energy storage capacity of a parallel plate capacitor?

The two main factors that affect the energy storage capacity of a parallel plate capacitor are the capacitance and the voltage. The higher the capacitance and voltage, the more energy the capacitor can store.

4. How does the dielectric material between the plates affect the energy of a parallel plate capacitor?

The dielectric material between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor affects the energy by increasing the capacitance. This is because the dielectric material has a higher permittivity than air, which allows for more charge to be stored on the plates, resulting in a higher energy storage capacity.

5. Can the energy of a parallel plate capacitor be increased by connecting multiple capacitors in parallel?

Yes, the energy of a parallel plate capacitor can be increased by connecting multiple capacitors in parallel. This is because the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances, and the energy is directly proportional to the capacitance. Therefore, by increasing the total capacitance, the energy of the capacitor system also increases.