1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Energy of parallel plate capacitor

1. May 26, 2017 #1
    Energy of a parallel plate capacitor with charge Q and potential difference V can be calculated in two ways:
    1)Work done in bringing charge dq from infinty to the capacitor when there is potential V= q/C on the positive plate and V= 0 on the negative plate is dW = (q/C)dq
    integrrating from 0 to Q gives W = (1/2)Q2/C

2)Using eqn.(2.43) of Griffith's Introduction to electrodynamics , 3 ed.,
    W= ## \frac 1 2\int_Γ ρV \, dΓ =\frac 1 2 \int_{q=0}^Q V \, dq = \frac 1 2 \int \frac q C \, dq = \frac 1 2 \frac {Q^2} {2C} = \frac 1 4 \frac {Q^2} {C}##,
    where Γ is the volume over which the integration has to be done
    How to decide which method is right?
    Can anyone tell me why there is a factor of (1/2) in the above equation?

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2017 #2

Science Advisor

You are applying 2.43 wrongly. It is not considering adding charge to the capacitor, and changing V; it is considering the fully charged state, and integrating ρV over the volume. Therefore ∫ρVdΓ is not equal to ∫Vdq; q is constant. Assuming V is constant over the volume, ∫ρVdΓ = QV = Q2/C, so W is the same as for method 1.
  4. May 27, 2017 #3
    Thanks for reply,
    V is not constant over the volume.It is E which is constant.
    dW = ρV dΓ is the work done by me when I bring a charge dq = ρ dΓ from a point where potential is zero to the point where potential is V.
    In case of a capacitor, I am bringing a charge dq from negative plate where potential is V= q/C, where q is charge of the capacitor at this time.
    Hence, ρV dΓ = q/C dq .
    What is wrong with this argument?

According to what you said is,
    ρ = Qδ(y)δ(z)[ δ(x-d) - δ(x)],
    where the positive plate is at (d,0,0) and negative plate is (0,0,0).
    ##\frac 1 2\int_Γ ρV \, dΓ =\frac 1 2 \int_Γ Qδ(y)δ(z)[ δ(x-d) - δ(x)] V \, d Γ= \frac 1 2 QV##
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  5. May 30, 2017 #4

Science Advisor

Integrating over the volume (where ρ and V are the final charge density and potential) is not equivalent to integrating over the charge as you charge up. (And V is constant over the volume of a conductor, E is zero.)
    I think what is wrong with it is that V varies with q during charging. But V is constant (the final potential) in 2.43. Perhaps it would be clearer if you used, say, v and V analogously to q and Q. So V = Q/C is the final potential at final charge Q, and v = q/C is the instantaneous potential at charge level q. Hence your equation would be ρv dΓ = q/C dq, whereas the integral in 2.43 is ρV dΓ, which is not the same thing. The factor of 1/2 arises in exactly the same way as in method 1, where ∫v(q)dq = 1/2 QV. Since ∫ρdΓ = Q, W = 1/2 ∫ρVdΓ.
  6. May 30, 2017 #5
    Now, I got it.
    Thank you.
    I was mistaking V for v.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted