Question About Potential Energy

In summary, potential energy and kinetic energy are related to the movement and position of objects in a system. In the first example, the potential energy of the book increases as it is lifted, while the kinetic energy stays constant. In the second example, the kinetic energy of both the book and the Earth increases, while the potential energy decreases. In order for potential energy to exist, there must be at least two objects in the system. It is also possible for energy to be exchanged between objects in the system, resulting in changes in potential and kinetic energy.
Metovich
I have two simple examples of potential energy and kinetic energy.

First example: Imagine a book on the ground and I want to lift it.At first I apply a force just a little more than the gravitational force of the Earth so that it has some velocity. After the book gets that velocity, I keep my force same with the gravitational force of the Earth so the kinetic energy stays constant along the path. As I know, the potential energy of the system of BOOK+EARTH increases (I always thought that the potential of the book increases), as I lift the book. When we look at the systems for that example;

System: Book alone
External forces on the system: My force + Gravitational force by the Earth
Internal forces of the system: ---
Result: The kinetic energy of the system stays constant. There is not net work done on the book.

System:Earth alone
External forces on the system: Gravitational force by the book
Internal forces of the of the system: ---
Result: The kinetic energy of the system should increase. There is some net work done on the Earth.

System: Book+Earth
External forces on the system: My force
Internal forces of the system: Gravitational force by the Earth on the book and gravitational force by the book on the Earth but they cancel each other because the internal force is conservative for a system
Result: The potential energy of the system increases. There is some net work done on the book+earth system by me.

Second example: Imagine that I let the book go from some height. Looking at the systems for that example;

System: Book alone
External forces on the system: Gravitational force by the Earth
Result: The kinetic energy of the book increases. There is some net work done on the book. The increase in kinetic energy of the SYSTEM: BOOK ALONE is greater that the increase in kinetic energy of the SYSTEM: EARTH ALONE.

System: Earth alone
Result: The kinetic energy of the Earth increases. There is net work done on the Earth.

System: Book+Earth
External forces on the system: ---
Internal forces of the system: Gravitational force by the Earth on the book and gravitational force by the book on the Earth but they cancel each other because the internal force is conservative for a system.
Result: There is no net work done on the system, so the total energy of the system doesn't change. The kinetic energy of the book and the Earth increases and potential energy of the system decreases with an equal amount.

I would like to know whether the information that I provided here is true or not. Also it seems there can be a kinetic energy of one thing ( Earth or book) but there can't be a potential energy of one thing. The system should consist of at least two things for the potential energy to exist which seems weird to me. Also my other deduction from those examples is that if we don't do any external work on systems like Book+Earth (second example) , they just tend to lose their potential energy and gain kinetic energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Metovich said:
As I know, the potential energy of the system of BOOK+EARTH increases
Right.
Metovich said:
System:Earth alone
Internal forces of the of the system: ---
Result: The kinetic energy of the system should increase. There is some net work done on the Earth.
There is also a force from the book acting on "You+Earth". If you don't want to consider yourself part of Earth, you should introduce you as part of the system.
I assume you stand on Earth.
Metovich said:
The system should consist of at least two things for the potential energy to exist which seems weird to me.
Often it is sufficient to consider Earth as external force. It won't move notably if you move books around. In that case you can assign potential energy to individual objects, like a book.

There are some errors in your analysis. Perhaps consider a spring between two identical objects so the situation is symmetrical. Then look back over your analysis.

Metovich said:
The system should consist of at least two things for the potential energy to exist which seems weird to me.
Right. The potential energy is due to the interaction between two or more objects (or two or more parts of a compound object like a spring). It's basically the same concept as "binding energy", except that binding energy is generally inverted in sign (so that a positive binding energy is actually referring to a negative potential energy).

Metovich said:
they just tend to lose their potential energy and gain kinetic energy.
It can go in either direction. I don't think there's any tendency to go one way.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is stored energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the object moves or changes its position.

What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy. Gravitational potential energy is associated with an object's position in a gravitational field, while elastic potential energy is stored in objects that can be stretched or compressed. Chemical potential energy is stored in chemical bonds, and nuclear potential energy is stored in the nucleus of an atom.

How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of potential energy being considered. For gravitational potential energy, the formula is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. For elastic potential energy, the formula is PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. Chemical potential energy and nuclear potential energy are more complex to calculate and often require specialized equations.

What factors affect potential energy?

The factors that affect potential energy include the mass of the object, its height or position, and any external forces acting on it. For example, the higher an object is placed in a gravitational field, the more potential energy it will have. Similarly, the more an elastic object is stretched or compressed, the more potential energy it will have. External forces, such as friction, can also affect the potential energy of an object by reducing it through energy loss.

How is potential energy used in everyday life?

Potential energy is used in various ways in everyday life. For example, potential energy in the form of food is converted into kinetic energy to fuel our bodies. Potential energy is also used in hydroelectric power plants, where the potential energy of water stored in a reservoir is converted into kinetic energy to turn turbines and generate electricity. Similarly, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy in roller coasters and other amusement park rides, providing thrilling experiences for riders.