Question about recommendation letters and GRE scores

In summary, the speaker is trying to study for their masters at UCLA and needs 3 recommendation letters and high GRE scores. They have tried contacting their previous professors for recommendations but haven't had any luck. They are considering enrolling in a different school and taking general graduate classes to build relationships with professors who could potentially write them a recommendation. They are also concerned about their GRE scores and whether they will meet the 80th percentile requirement. They have a 3.945 GPA and no engineering experience. They are applying for the M.S. Mechanical Engineering program at UCLA.
thepatient
Hi everyone!

My goal is to study for my masters at UCLA. UCLA requires 3 recommendation letters and very high (80th percentile) GRE scores. I've tried contacting a few of my favorite professors from the school where I got my B.S.M.E. regarding recommendation letters, but I haven't had a single response. It's been 8 months since I graduated, so I don't expect them to remember me anymore.

Anyway, I was planning to do this. Enroll into another school with less strict entry requirements (CSU-Northridge). Take a few general graduate classes that apply to all majors. Build a rapport (better than what I had with my previous professors). And hope that they'd like me enough to write me a letter of recommendation to UCLA. Is this a good idea?

Also, a question about the GRE. I am studying for the GRE and I feel like some parts are really tough. I fear not getting to that 80th percentile that UCLA asks for. If I get to the 70th percentile, do I still have a chance, or are they very strict to their requirements? I have a 3.945 GPA. No engineering experience (haven't had luck with that either, but not giving up easily).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmm, I just realized that CSU-Northridge does indeed require letters of recommendation. -___-

Your message left some important things unsaid. Are you applying for physics programs? Or mechanical engineering? Or something else?

Oops, sorry. M.S. Mechanical Engineering program.

As a scientist, my recommendation would be to focus on improving your GRE scores and obtaining strong recommendation letters from your current professors or other professionals in your field. While enrolling in graduate classes at another school may provide you with a chance to build relationships with potential recommenders, it may not carry as much weight as letters from individuals who know you and your work from your undergraduate studies. Additionally, it may be more beneficial to invest your time and energy into studying for the GRE rather than taking on additional coursework.

As for the GRE scores, it ultimately depends on the competitiveness of the program and the number of applicants they receive. While a 70th percentile score may be considered strong in some programs, it may not be competitive enough for others. It is always best to aim for the highest score possible to increase your chances of acceptance. However, your high GPA may also help to offset a slightly lower GRE score. It is important to also highlight any relevant experience or achievements in your application to demonstrate your potential as a graduate student.

Overall, my recommendation would be to continue studying for the GRE and reaching out to potential recommenders who know you and your work well. It may also be helpful to expand your search for recommenders beyond just your previous professors, such as reaching out to professionals in your desired field or previous supervisors. Best of luck in your graduate studies journey!

1. What is the purpose of recommendation letters when applying for graduate school?

Recommendation letters are important components of a graduate school application because they provide insight into your academic abilities, work ethic, and potential for success in a graduate program. They also offer a perspective from someone who knows you well and can vouch for your qualifications and character.

2. Who should I ask for recommendation letters?

Ideally, you should ask individuals who have worked closely with you in an academic or professional setting. This could include professors, research supervisors, employers, or mentors. Choose individuals who can speak to your strengths and qualifications for the specific graduate program you are applying to.

3. How many recommendation letters should I submit?

Most graduate programs require 2-3 recommendation letters, but it is always best to check the specific requirements for each program you are applying to. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully and only submit the requested number of letters.

4. Do all graduate programs require GRE scores?

No, not all graduate programs require GRE scores. Some programs may have their own entrance exams or may not require any standardized test scores. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program you are interested in.

5. Is it better to have a high GRE score or strong recommendation letters?

Both a high GRE score and strong recommendation letters are important for a successful graduate school application. It is best to strive for both, as they provide different perspectives on your abilities and qualifications. If one is weaker than the other, it is important to highlight your strengths in the other areas of your application.