1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about recommendation letters and GRE scores

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone!

My goal is to study for my masters at UCLA. UCLA requires 3 recommendation letters and very high (80th percentile) GRE scores. I've tried contacting a few of my favorite professors from the school where I got my B.S.M.E. regarding recommendation letters, but I haven't had a single response. It's been 8 months since I graduated, so I don't expect them to remember me anymore.

Anyway, I was planning to do this. Enroll into another school with less strict entry requirements (CSU-Northridge). Take a few general graduate classes that apply to all majors. Build a rapport (better than what I had with my previous professors). And hope that they'd like me enough to write me a letter of recommendation to UCLA. Is this a good idea?

Also, a question about the GRE. I am studying for the GRE and I feel like some parts are really tough. I fear not getting to that 80th percentile that UCLA asks for. If I get to the 70th percentile, do I still have a chance, or are they very strict to their requirements? I have a 3.945 GPA. No engineering experience (haven't had luck with that either, but not giving up easily).

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2
    Mmm, I just realized that CSU-Northridge does indeed require letters of recommendation. -___-

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your message left some important things unsaid. Are you applying for physics programs? Or mechanical engineering? Or something else?

5. Jan 29, 2015 #4
    Oops, sorry. M.S. Mechanical Engineering program.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook