Question about relativistic effects at synchrotons

In summary, the magnetic field needed to keep electrons in uniform circular movement (UCM) when their speed is not negligible compared with the speed of light is determined by the relativistic effects. If you know, theoretically or experimentally, the magnetic field needed to keep the UCM, please let me know.
SergioPL
This Question is about the magnetic field which is needed to keep electrons in uniform circular movement (UCM) when their speed is not negligible compared with the speed of light.

If we ignore relativistic effects, magnetic field will take the following value:
B = (v*m)/(r*q) Where v is linear electron speed, r is the synchroton radius and m q are the electron mass and electric charge respectively.

If we include relativistic effects, I think special relativity cannot explain this experiment because the difference of speed is not the same seen from the electron’s instantaneous inertial frame of reference (IFR) than from the laboratory’s IFR. That is because of Thomas Precession.

Nonetheless, I have been working with a model that is able to determine magnetic field needed to keep electrons in UCM when they reach relativistic speeds. The result I get is the next:

B = (v*m)/(r*q) * ( 2*k^2/(k+1) )^(1/2) k = 1/(1-v^2)^(1/2)

If you know, theoretically or experimentally, the magnetic field need to keep the UCM you will make me a great favour telling me it so I will know if my model is working or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
I may be missing something, but what's wrong with using force balance as follows:

evB = (gamma*m)(v*v/r) where gamma = (1-v^2/c^2)^-.5

B=(gamma*m)*v/(re)

but gamma*m*v is just the relativistic momentum

B=p/(re)

Take this logic with some hesitancy though--synchotrons are pretty complex machines by themselves without making things hairy with relativity. I'm just not 100% sure of my answer but wanted to try and help.

Thank you dwintz02 for your help

Your answer is logical but I think you have forgotten a fact. Proper time grows the same way than inertial mass, with gamma(v). So the force seek by several bodies moving in diferent inertial frames will be the same, the time this force happens not.

The problem is based on the next: Let's supose 3 bodies, A, B and C so A and B are in the same inertial frame and C is moving at v x from A or B.

If B "boosts" dv (dv << 0) in direction x, so that now B is moving from A with speed dv x then B will be moving from C with speed (-v +dv/gamma^2)x and C will see B moving with speed -(-v +dv/gamma^2)x so Vbc = - Vcb. (B seeks C moving with the oposite speed than C seeks B).

But if B "boosts" dv (dv << 0) in direction y, so that now B is moving from A with speed dv y then, according to relativity B will see C moving with speed (v x - dv y ) whereas C seeks B moving with speed (- v x + dv/Gamma(v) y).

You easly see that Vbc no longer = - Vcb but the acceleration looks bigger for the one that accelarates. This phenomena is related with Thomas precession but with my model it disappears. One of the conclusions of my model is the result I gave in the previous question, so I want to see if it works OK and I succed :D!

1. What are relativistic effects at synchrotrons?

Relativistic effects at synchrotrons refer to the phenomenon where particles traveling at high speeds, close to the speed of light, exhibit changes in their behavior due to the principles of relativity. These effects can be observed in particle accelerators, such as synchrotrons, where particles are accelerated to high energies and velocities.

2. How do relativistic effects impact particle collisions at synchrotrons?

Relativistic effects can impact particle collisions at synchrotrons in several ways. Firstly, they can cause an increase in the energy of the particles involved in the collision, leading to more energetic and higher velocity collisions. Additionally, relativistic effects can also cause a decrease in the size of the particles, making them more compact and increasing the chances of collisions.

3. What is time dilation in relation to relativistic effects at synchrotrons?

Time dilation is a concept in relativity that states that time appears to pass slower for an observer moving at high speeds relative to another observer. In the case of synchrotrons, particles traveling at close to the speed of light experience time dilation, causing their internal clocks to appear slower to an outside observer.

4. How does relativistic mass increase affect particle acceleration at synchrotrons?

According to the theory of relativity, as the velocity of an object increases, its mass also increases. This means that particles accelerated to high speeds at synchrotrons will have a higher mass, making it more difficult to accelerate them further. This effect is taken into account when designing and operating a synchrotron to ensure efficient particle acceleration.

5. What are the applications of studying relativistic effects at synchrotrons?

Understanding and studying relativistic effects at synchrotrons have various practical applications. It can help in the development of more efficient and powerful particle accelerators, which are used in various fields of research and technology. Additionally, studying these effects can also give insight into fundamental principles of relativity and the behavior of matter at high energies.