Question about solar interference on laser tag guns

In summary, the speaker discusses their recent experience playing laser tag with their brother and friends. They were impressed by the effectiveness of the laser guns and wondered if a blue laser would work better outside due to atmospheric interference. However, the speaker also mentions that laser tag guns do not actually use lasers, but rather infrared LEDs modulated with a 57.6 KHz carrier wave. This is similar to how TV remotes work. The speaker also shares a link and page reference for more information on infrared emitters and their driver circuitry. The conversation ends with a question about the power of light from the cosmos.
Brainguy
So my brother had a birthday party the other day where this company that rents laser tag guns comes over and all his friends played a big game of laser tag outside. the guns worked surprisingly well, and there was even a "grenade" that would shoot lasers out in all directions once a pin was pulled. They were most likely IR lasers since I could not see a little dot on my hand when I shot myself, but the question is: I was surprised by how well the guns worked, despite solar interference; and I didn't know why so naturally I had to learn. Also, on a rant, would a "blue-ray laser gun" (blue laser) work better outside than a normal red or IR one? Because based on what science teacher said, blue light gets caught up in the atmosphere (turning it blue) and never makes it to earth, so my idea was that since there is no alien blue light coming to interfere, the game would work much smoother. Or am I getting this all wrong and red light DOES interfere with blue light. (actually, red and blue make purple...) ughh.. I don't even know what I'm saying anymore. Ill post now to get answers more quickly.

Science news on Phys.org
The majority of blue light from the Sun reaches the surface of the Earth without scattering in the atmosphere. I don't think moving the laser from IR to visible would accomplish much, as the Sun's output is higher in the visible range than in the IR range. However I am not familiar with the workings of laser guns, so I could be wrong.

It is possible that the Laser Tag sensors respond to coherent light only.

Laser Tags guns do not use a laser for the actual tagging, but an infrared LED with a lens to focus the beam. The infrared is modulated with a 57.6 KHz carrier wave. The receiver detects this 57.6 KHz signal and isn't very sensitive to the IR wavelength.
This works the same as Tv-remotes, only those have less power and the beams spread out more.

see http://membres.multimania.fr/ormeralion/Fichiers/ctii.pdf

esp. page 31: Infrared emitters and their driver circuitry

Hmm, ok. Is there a wavelength of light that comes less powerfully from the cosmos?

Brainguy said:
Hmm, ok. Is there a wavelength of light that comes less powerfully from the cosmos?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Less powerfully than what?

1. How does solar interference affect laser tag guns?

Solar interference can cause disruptions in the laser beams used by laser tag guns. This can lead to inaccurate shots, missed targets, and potentially affect the overall gameplay experience.

2. What causes solar interference on laser tag guns?

Solar interference occurs when sunlight or other sources of intense light, such as artificial lighting or reflective surfaces, enter the laser tag arena and interfere with the laser beams used by the guns.

3. Can solar interference be prevented?

Yes, there are steps that can be taken to prevent or minimize solar interference on laser tag guns. This includes choosing a location for the arena that is not directly exposed to sunlight, installing shades or curtains to block out light, and using laser beams with a shorter range that are less affected by interference.

4. How can solar interference be detected during a laser tag game?

Solar interference can be detected by observing the accuracy and consistency of shots from the laser tag guns. If players are experiencing frequent missed shots or difficulty hitting targets, it could be a sign of solar interference. Additionally, some laser tag guns may have built-in sensors that can detect changes in light levels.

5. Can solar interference damage laser tag guns?

In most cases, solar interference will not cause any permanent damage to laser tag guns. However, if the laser beams are consistently exposed to intense light, it could potentially cause wear and tear on the lasers over time. It is important to take precautions to prevent solar interference in order to maintain the longevity of the equipment.