1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the Dirac Delta Function

1. Apr 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Fourier spectrum of the following equation

2. Relevant equations
    ##F(\omega)=\pi[\delta(\omega - \omega _0)+\delta(\omega +\omega_0)]##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Would the Fourier spectrum just be two spikes at ##+\omega _0## and ##-\omega _0## which go up to infinity?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. My guess is you are supposed to find the function that has such a Fourier transform ?
    When you carry out the integration to find that functionl the ##\delta## functions will behave decently -- check the definition of a delta function

4. Apr 14, 2016 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

xoxmae already has a function ##F\left( \omega\right)## that has two "spikes", one at ##\omega = \omega_0## and one at ##\omega = -\omega_0##. The Fourier transform of this will not have spikes.

5. Apr 22, 2016 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He didn't ask for the Fourier transform of F(ω). He asked for the spectrum, i.e. a graph in the frequency domain, which is what BvU said, except it's not sufficient to say " ... spikes which go up to to infinity ..." of course. What of the ω coefficient?

I also agree with BvU that the problem was more likely to find the inverse transform of F(ω).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted