• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Question about the Dirac Delta Function

• Thread starter xoxomae
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier spectrum of the following equation

Homework Equations

##F(\omega)=\pi[\delta(\omega - \omega _0)+\delta(\omega +\omega_0)]##

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the Fourier spectrum just be two spikes at ##+\omega _0## and ##-\omega _0## which go up to infinity?

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Yes. My guess is you are supposed to find the function that has such a Fourier transform ?
When you carry out the integration to find that functionl the ##\delta## functions will behave decently -- check the definition of a delta function

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
xoxmae already has a function ##F\left( \omega\right)## that has two "spikes", one at ##\omega = \omega_0## and one at ##\omega = -\omega_0##. The Fourier transform of this will not have spikes.

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
xoxmae already has a function ##F\left( \omega\right)## that has two "spikes", one at ##\omega = \omega_0## and one at ##\omega = -\omega_0##. The Fourier transform of this will not have spikes.
He didn't ask for the Fourier transform of F(ω). He asked for the spectrum, i.e. a graph in the frequency domain, which is what BvU said, except it's not sufficient to say " ... spikes which go up to to infinity ..." of course. What of the ω coefficient?

I also agree with BvU that the problem was more likely to find the inverse transform of F(ω).