Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the force of a falling object.

1. Jul 19, 2008 #1
    I'm a theatrical lighting designer wear a fall arrest harness while climbing in trussing.
    I can't find a calculation method for determining the weight put on the anchor point in the event of a fall.

I weight 160 lbs. my lanyard is 6 feet long. It has no shock absorber so I would come to a very sudden and complete stop.

Is there a method of calculating the weight of the shock load of arresting my fall?

Thanks,
    Cruise

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2008 #2

Mk

Sorry Cruise, I realized my first response was not an answer to the question you were asking. I said that the force that the ceiling anchor point puts on you is equal and opposite to the constant force of your weight. This is true, but only after you were hanging at rest.

Impact usually requires us to know how fast your change in velocity was, or how long it took you to come to a stop. Everything is actually a bit of a spring, elastic and soft.

If the time it took you to stop was 0 seconds, that would lead to a calculation of infinite shock.

Welcome to PF!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  4. Jul 21, 2008 #3
    The maths behind this type of calculation is very complex, way beyond me. But for practical purposes it can be simplified to:
    - the weight of the object (you and your gear)
    - multiplied by the acceleration distance (your free-fall) and then
    - divided by the deceleration distance (arrest distance)

Arrest Force = Weight x Free-Fall Distance/ Arrest Distance

Basically if you try arrest a fall without a shock absorber decelerating you gradually you will generate very high forces. Easily enough to break your lanyard.... then you will just keep falling, regardless of anchor point strength. Generally this is considered as "not good". So get a shock absorber before you do anything!

Also, you should ensure that any anchor point you design complies with your relevant national standards. Also please ensure you have sufficient fall clearance to fall into.

5. Jul 21, 2008 #4
    Thank you, MK.
    I didn't realize how essential the deceleration time is for the equation.
    Which would be information I'd have to get from a rigging company, I suppose.

Thank you as well John.
    I'm not concerned about the Lanyard breaking.
    The harness and lanyard are manufactured by SAPSIS rigging for this purpose.
    but you're correct about the fall clearance.
    I'm working at 15-35' hieghts, which is why I didn't purchase the Shock Absorbtion lanyard. (it would add too much lenght for the necessary safety clearance)

Thanks agian!
    Cruise

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?