Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question about the Heisenberg Picture

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've seen this example for using the Heisenberg equation of motion to solve the Simple Hamonic Oscillator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenberg_picture#Commutator_relations"

However, if you were only interested in one variable, lets say position, on how the the position operator varies in time and its resulting expectation values: Would is it neccessary to find and solve the equation of motion for P as well?

Also once one has the relevant equation of potion:

[tex]\frac{dX(t)}{dt} = \frac{p(0)}{m} [/tex]

Why is it so often solved by differentiating the equation a second time and solving, rather than just integrating?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The equations for the SHO are
    \begin{align*}
    \dot{x}(t) &= \frac{p(t)}{m} \\
    \dot{p}(t) &= -m\omega^2x(t)
    \end{align*}Note that you have functions of time on both sides of the equations. You don't have p(0) on the right-hand side of the x equation. You differentiate one equation and substitute in the second one to get rid of one of the functions. The resulting second-order equation is straightforward to solve.

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply, Vela.

I was thinking about it earlier as I walked the dog, but hadn't got around to sitting down with it. I did wonder if assuming that the answer in the commutator was p(0) was unfounded.

Glad to have someone confirm it and that'd I'm not a complete idiot, just a bit slow :D

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook