1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the magnitude and direction of an electric field.

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electric potential V in the space between two flat parallel plates 1 and 2 is given (in volts) by V = 1920x^2, where x (in meters) is the perpendicular distance from plate 1. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field at x = 2.5 cm? (Take the direction perpendicular to and away from plate 1 to be positive.)

2. Relevant equations

E= V/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I converted the cm to m, and then I plugged everything in, by saying: (1920*0.025^2)/0.025= 48.0. The answer is incorrect, also the negative of 48 is incorrect. I am not sure where to go from here and there was no picture to assist. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The relevant equation given by you is true for uniform field. In the given problem field is not uniform. Potential is a function of x^2. In that case the eelctric field is given by
    E = - dV/dx.

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    When I put in my numbers using that equation, I get the same thing: E= -dV/dx = - 1920*(.025 ^2)/ .025 = 48V/m. I may be mistaken though... any thoughts?

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

It is not correct.
    E = -dV/dx = - 1920*d/dx(x^2).
    What is the derivative of x^2?

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5
    Did you mean to say 1920*x/ dx? Then, I would get (1920*.025)/ (2*.025) = 960, does that sound correct?

7. Sep 20, 2009 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

No. d/dx(x^2) = 2x.
    E = -dV/dx = - 2*1920*x

8. Sep 20, 2009 #7
    Oh, okay. Thanks a lot for all of your help. I am not that great at physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook