Question about the radiation around Neutron Stars or Pulsars

In summary, the conversation discusses a sci-fi idea of being able to move planets around, specifically in regards to a nova creating a new ring of rocky planets around a neutron star. The main question is whether the electromagnetic radiation and radio waves emitted by the neutron star would create a toxic environment on these planets, and if so, how long it would take for the radiation to dissipate. The conversation also mentions the possibility of terraforming these planets and whether they would still be habitable after potentially being bombarded by radiation for millions of years.
Althistorybuff
I have a sci-fi idea regarding being able to move planets around like billiard balls.

I'm theorizing that, after a nova, some of the bands of material around a star formed a new ring of rocky planets around a Neutron Star. Naturally, these are bathed in radiation.

Having never taken high school physics, would the electromagnetic radiation and radio waves emitted leave a "toxic" environment like spent nuclear fuel here or would removing the planet from the offending pulsar or neutron star remove the problem? i

Basically, I am creating a world and want to know if one could theoretically move planets to a more desirable neighborhood, how long would it take for the radiation to dissipate (half-life out) etc, assuming that these are even the right terms for this type of radiation. I didn't understand the Wikipedia entry so I thought I might try to get someone to dumb it down for me.

So, would being battered by electromagnetic radiation for potentially millions of years create a situation where even a terraformed planet would be uninhabitable or does this type of radiation not leave this long term problem?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Althistorybuff said:
after a nova

I think you mean a supernova--that's what can turn an ordinary star into a neutron star. A nova (as opposed to a supernova) doesn't do that.

Althistorybuff said:
would the electromagnetic radiation and radio waves emitted leave a "toxic" environment like spent nuclear fuel here or would removing the planet from the offending pulsar or neutron star remove the problem?

The kind of EM radiation emitted by a supernova--gamma rays--can induce nuclear reactions, so it could leave behind radioactive materials. I don't know if anyone has tried to model this in any detail, though. For purposes of sci-fi, I think you could assume that planets removed from the radiation environment could be made habitable.

Moderator's note: moved to the sci-fi forum.

1. What is the difference between radiation around Neutron Stars and Pulsars?

The main difference between radiation around Neutron Stars and Pulsars is the source of the radiation. Neutron Stars emit radiation due to their extremely strong magnetic fields, while Pulsars emit radiation due to their rapid rotation.

2. How does the radiation around Neutron Stars and Pulsars affect nearby planets or objects?

The radiation emitted by Neutron Stars and Pulsars can be harmful to nearby planets or objects. It can cause damage to electronic equipment and disrupt communication systems. It can also strip away the atmosphere of a planet, making it inhospitable for life.

3. Is the radiation around Neutron Stars and Pulsars constant or does it vary?

The radiation around Neutron Stars and Pulsars can vary. Pulsars, in particular, emit beams of radiation that can be observed as pulses from Earth. These pulses can vary in frequency and intensity, depending on the rotation of the Pulsar.

4. Can we measure the amount of radiation emitted by Neutron Stars and Pulsars?

Yes, we can measure the amount of radiation emitted by Neutron Stars and Pulsars using specialized instruments such as telescopes and detectors. By analyzing the different wavelengths of radiation, we can determine the intensity and type of radiation being emitted.

5. How does the radiation around Neutron Stars and Pulsars impact our understanding of the universe?

The radiation emitted by Neutron Stars and Pulsars provides valuable information about the extreme conditions and processes that occur in the universe. Studying this radiation can help us understand the formation and evolution of these objects and their role in the larger structure of the universe.