Question about the tags for controlling text size in our post?

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, While there is no longer a tool for controlling text size in posts, there is one available in the Feedback and Announcements board. It is possible to manually write-in text size in other boards by using BBcode. The tool to change text size should be made available again, as it was in the past. When using BBcode, certain sizes may appear differently than expected due to the forum's size limitations.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I find no more a tool for controlling text size in our posts, but while in this Feedback and Announcements board, I do see a tool. Hope one could simple write-in the text for the tags and that would work (in the other boards).

A test here. (chose size 10)
A test here. (chose size 18)

Physics news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
I find no more a tool for controlling text size in our posts, but while in this Feedback and Announcements board, I do see a tool. Hope one could simple write-in the text for the tags and that would work (in the other boards).

A test here. (chose size 10)
A test here. (chose size 18)
No way to see the code for those. HOW do we find the code that was used so the method can be used in what we compose?

symbolipoint said:
No way to see the code for those. HOW do we find the code that was used so the method can be used in what we compose?
Switch to BBCode to see the underlying text:

1664309903054.png

That said, I think that the tool to change text size should be made available. It was once available, but I think it went away after the last major upgrade.

It's not in the editor because these options can become very annoying and create disjointed reading experiences.

• Informative
Likes Borek, symbolipoint, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
Wrichik Basu
In post #3, what's shown is some strange looking values. The tag shows a value but the text size chosen in the labeling I expressed outside was different. I guess I will need to try the "BBcode" and see how that looks.

Let me try this with the BBcode tool clicked ON.

Choosing text size 4 -------text
Choosing text size 10 -----text
Choosing text size 18 -----text

Weird how the "10" and the "18" appear to be same sizes when published.

This line next is with the BBcode button turned OFF.
I am guessing this will look like pure text, using sizes of 10 and 24:
size is 10
size is 24

But those look exactly the same size.
As is that, which is NOT inside the tag. I am not sure how to adjust that.

It seems to default to size 7 as the largest. . .

1664337843815.png

Lol. . . size 1 works, though.

OCR, post #8
I should try rechecking my results again. Not certain how. I do not know for sure how to uncovered the tagging I used. Maybe I need to copy&paste and turn off or on the BBcode tool?

symbolipoint said:
This line next is with the BBcode button turned OFF.
I am guessing this will look like pure text, using sizes of 10 and 24:
size is 10
size is 24
"Reply" button, the quote is put into the compose field, and I see BBcode button is off. I will turn BBcode button on, and then see what this looks like...
Wow! that is NOT the way I put in those lines originally. Those look far wrong. What I composed was very different!
And I cannot make this post work reliably!

Another try.
The word "order" and only "order" will be as size 24. All the categories on separate lines.

domain
kingdom
phylum
order
family
genus
species

symbolipoint said:
Another try.
The word "order" and only "order" will be as size 24. All the categories on separate lines.

domain
kingdom
phylum
order
family
genus
species

When rechecking it IS tagged as 24, but I am not sure if it is appearing as size 24 or not. It IS truly larger than the default size.

symbolipoint said:
As is that, which is NOT inside the tag. I am not sure how to adjust that.

You have the escape tag [/size] in the wrong place. . . :wink:

1664339774805.png

symbolipoint said:
Another try.

domain
kingdom
phylum
order
family
genus
species
It still went to 7. . .

1664340604909.png

OCR said:
You have the escape tag [/size] in the wrong place. . . :wink:

View attachment 314747
I know it looks like I wrote the tag piece in the wrong place but that is not how I wrote it. Eventually I will try again.

Likes OCR
OCR said:
It still went to 7. . .

View attachment 314749
Strange. I do not know why that happens. I really did write it the way I said I did.

symbolipoint said:
I really did write it the way I said I did.

I know, I tried it too. . . . :smile:

The forum limits it to size 7 = 26 px avoid absurdly large text.
1 ->9 px
2->10 px
3->12 px
4->15 px
normal text (size=0) is 17 px
5->18 px
6->22 px
7+ -> 26 px

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu
mfb said:
The forum limits it to size 7 = 26 px avoid absurdly large text.
1 ->9 px
2->10 px
3->12 px
4->15 px
normal text (size=0) is 17 px
5->18 px
6->22 px
7+ -> 26 px
?
But yours worked (maybe not perfectly) while mine did not.

What is the problem? I don't see anything that doesn't work as intended.

symbolipoint said:
I know it looks like I wrote the tag piece in the wrong place but that is not how I wrote it. Eventually I will try again.
I’ve found that switching between the two edit modes (WYSIWG and BBcode) sometimes causes the editor to get confused about tag positions. I generally position them manually using the BBcode mode.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint

1. What are the available tags for controlling text size in a post?

The most commonly used tags for controlling text size in a post are <h1>, <h2>, <h3>, <h4>, <h5>, and <h6>.

2. How do I change the text size using HTML tags?

To change the text size using HTML tags, you can use the style attribute and specify the font-size property. For example, <h1 style="font-size: 24px;">Heading 1</h1> will make the text size of the heading 1 tag 24 pixels.

3. Can I use CSS to control text size instead of HTML tags?

Yes, you can use CSS to control text size by targeting specific HTML elements and specifying the font-size property. This allows for more flexibility and control over the text size.

4. What is the default text size for HTML tags?

The default text size for HTML tags varies depending on the browser and device being used. However, most browsers have a default font size of 16 pixels for regular text and 24 pixels for headings.

5. How can I make the text size responsive to different screen sizes?

You can make the text size responsive by using CSS media queries. This allows you to specify different text sizes for different screen sizes, ensuring that your text is legible on all devices.