1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about total derivative/chain rule

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    The following actually comes from Landau's 3rd Edit. Statistical Physics Part 1, Paragraph on Adiabatic Processes, Page 39.

I have the following two equations, where [itex]\lambda=\lambda(t)[/itex]. I am not so sure about [itex]S[/itex] (which is somewhat my problem):
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}S}{\mathrm{d}t} = \left( \frac{\mathrm{d}\lambda}{\mathrm{d}t} \right)^2[/tex]

Which is supposed to mean:
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}S}{\mathrm{d}\lambda} = \frac{\mathrm{d}\lambda}{\mathrm{d}t}[/tex]

Now, I thought that what is essentially being done there is multiplying the first equation such that we get:
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}S}{\mathrm{d}t}\frac{\mathrm{d}t}{\mathrm{d}\lambda} = \frac{\mathrm{d}\lambda}{\mathrm{d}t}[/tex]

But if I now assume that:
    [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}S}{\mathrm{d}t}\frac{\mathrm{d}t}{\mathrm{d}\lambda} = \frac{\mathrm{d}S}{\mathrm{d}\lambda}[/tex]
    doesn't that in turn mean that [itex]t[/itex] is a function of [itex]\lambda[/itex]? Mathematically this seams sounds (to me), but physically this does not make so much sense, if [itex]t[/itex] is the time.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi mSSM! welcome to pf! :smile:
    suppose λ is distance

why shouldn't time be a function of distance? :wink:

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3
    Re: welcome to pf!

sin
    Thanks! :) Okay, I guess you could turn it that way. So essentially you say that we simply associate every instant of time with a certain "distance"... Since in my case the distance (=external condition) is a mechanical quantity I guess this would be sound.

Would something like that still be acceptable for a macroscopic quantity?

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i'm not sure i understand that sentence :confused:

a quantity is a quantity

why would length (or any other quantity) be unacceptable?

6. Mar 23, 2012 #5
    Yeah, you are right. I can't think of a reason why that shouldn't work. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook