Question about vector coordinates

In summary: What is the length of \mathbf{x}(t) and what does it mean for the point to be on the line segment AB?In summary, the problem involves finding the length of the line segment AC, which is related to the vector AB. In order to find AC, it is not correct to simply multiply AB by 2/5. Instead, the origin must be involved in the calculation. Drawing a sketch can help understand the problem better. A weighted average of vectors can be used to find AC, where the weights of the average correspond to the lengths of AC and CB. Additionally, considering the equation \mathbf{x}(t) = (1-t)\mathbf{a} + t\mathbf{b}
homeworkhelpls
Homework Statement
Find C position vector
Relevant Equations
none
1666203644182.png

here i found AB to be (-3, 2) and then i thought to do 2/5 multiplied by AB to find AC, however this is incorrect and instead i would have to involve the origin. Why and how can i involve the origin?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement in combination with your attempt are confusing for me. Can you upload a drawing of this line please? Thanks.

Likes vela and topsquark
homeworkhelpls said:
here i found AB to be (-3, 2) and then i thought to do 5/2 multiplied by AB to find AC
I think AB here is supposed to be the length of the line segment connecting points A and B. It's not the vector ##\mathbf{b}-\mathbf{a}##, though it is related. And I think you meant you multiplied by 2/5, not 5/2. Or at least that would somewhat make sense.

Anyways, draw a sketch. I think it'll help you understand what the problem is asking for.

Likes topsquark and berkeman
Do you know how to calculate a weighted average of vectors ##a## and ##b## so that ##a## gets 3/5 of the weight and ##b## gets 2/5? Would that point be on the AB line? How do the lengths of the AC and CB relate to the weights of the average?

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
Consider [itex]\mathbf{x}(t) = (1-t)\mathbf{a} + t\mathbf{b}[/itex] for [itex]0 \leq t \leq 1[/itex]

Likes FactChecker

1. What are vector coordinates?

Vector coordinates are a set of numbers that represent the magnitude and direction of a vector in a given coordinate system. They are typically written in the form (x, y, z) for three-dimensional vectors and (x, y) for two-dimensional vectors.

2. How do you find the coordinates of a vector?

To find the coordinates of a vector, you need to know its magnitude and direction. You can then use trigonometric functions to calculate the x, y, and z components of the vector, which make up its coordinates.

3. What is the difference between vector coordinates and scalar coordinates?

Vector coordinates represent both magnitude and direction, while scalar coordinates only represent magnitude. Vector coordinates are typically used in physics and engineering, while scalar coordinates are used in mathematics.

4. Can vector coordinates be negative?

Yes, vector coordinates can be negative. The sign of the coordinates depends on the direction of the vector. For example, a vector pointing in the negative x direction would have a negative x coordinate.

5. How are vector coordinates used in real life?

Vector coordinates are used in many real-life applications, such as navigation systems, computer graphics, and physics simulations. They are also used in engineering and construction to represent forces and velocities.