Question about vector calculus

In summary: Because of the nice orthogonality relations of the basis vectors you get very simple sum rules for the squared lengths of vectors:$$V^2=V_r^2+V_{\theta}^2.$$The crucial point is that this works in any dimension also with more than two parameters and the corresponding basis vectors, which are always orthogonal to each other and normalized. The whole technic is called "tensor algebra". You can also easily show that the vector product of two basis vectors is a third one, because it is orthogonal to the other two, e.g.$$\vec{e}_{\theta} \times \vec{e}_r=\vec{e}_{\phi}.$$This is a very important geometric
Another
particles in plane polar coordinates

r = rcosθ i + rsinθ k

F = Fer + F

r/∂r =|∂r/∂r|er = (cos2θ + sin2θ)½er = er

why
r/∂θ =|∂r/∂θ| = (r2cos2θ + r2sin2θ)½ = r

I understand that ∂r/∂θ = -rsinθ + rcosθ but why r/∂θ = (r2cos2θ + r2sin2θ)½

Physics news on Phys.org
Please use LaTeX for typing formulae. Then everything gets much better readable!

Let's start from scratch. As you correctly write in terms of polar coordinates you have
$$\vec{r}=r \cos \theta \vec{i}+r \sin \theta \vec{j}.$$
If you have a parametrization of the position vector with some generalized parameters like here ##r## and ##\theta##, you can define a new basis at every point in the vector space by using the tangent vectors to the coordinate lines as any point. They are given by the partial derivatives with respect to the parameters:
$$\vec{b}_r=\partial_r \vec{r}=\cos \theta \vec{i} + \sin \theta \vec{j}, \quad \vec{b}_{\theta}=\partial_{\theta} \vec{r}=-r \sin \theta \vec{i} + r \cos \theta \vec{j}.$$
Now you realize that you have a particularly nice case of parameters here, namely socalled "curvilinear orthogonal coordinates", which means that the basis vectors are perpendicular to each other. Indeed, as you can easily check by direct calculation, using ##\vec{i} \cdot \vec{i}=\vec{j} \cdot \vec{j}=1## and ##\vec{i} \cdot \vec{j}=0##,
$$\vec{b}_r \cdot \vec{b}_{\theta}=0.$$
In such cases, it is convenient to use normalized basis vectors. So let's calculate the lengths of the basis vectors
$$g_r^2=\vec{b}_r \cdot \vec{b}_r=1, \quad g_{\theta}^2=\vec{b}_{\theta} \cdot \vec{b}_{\theta}=r^2.$$
Thus you can introduce orthonormal vectors by just normlizing these (socalled holonomous) basis vectors,
$$\vec{e}_r=\frac{1}{g_r} \vec{b}_r=\vec{b}_r, \quad \vec{e}_{\theta} = \frac{1}{g_{\theta}} \vec{b}_{\theta}=\frac{1}{r} \vec{b}_{\theta}.$$
Thus you indeed find
$$\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial r}=\vec{e}_r, \quad \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial \theta}=r \vec{e}_{\theta}.$$
The advantage to use the normalized orthogonal basis vectors instead of the holonomous ones is also easy to understand. You can very easily calculate the coordinates of any vector ##\vec{V}## with respect to the orthonormal basis,
$$V_r=\vec{e}_r \cdot \vec{V}, \quad V_{\theta}=\vec{e}_{\theta} \cdot \vec{V}.$$
It's easy to show that indeed
$$\vec{V}=V_r \vec{e}_r + V_{\theta} \vec{e}_{\theta}$$
by expressing everything again in Cartesian coordinates and the corresponding basis vectors ##\vec{i}## and ##\vec{j}##.

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Question about vector calculus

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of vector fields, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves the study of functions that take vector inputs and produce vector outputs, and the application of calculus techniques to these functions.

2. What are some common applications of vector calculus?

Vector calculus has many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. Some specific examples include calculating electric and magnetic fields, optimizing fluid flow, and designing computer animations.

3. What are some important concepts in vector calculus?

Some key concepts in vector calculus include vector fields, line and surface integrals, gradient, divergence, and curl. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the behavior of vector quantities in space and time.

4. Is vector calculus difficult to learn?

Like any branch of mathematics, vector calculus can be challenging to learn, but with proper instruction and practice, it can be understood by anyone with a solid foundation in algebra and calculus. It is also a highly useful and interesting subject, which can make the learning process more engaging.

5. How can I improve my understanding of vector calculus?

To improve your understanding of vector calculus, it is important to first have a strong grasp of basic algebra and calculus concepts. From there, it can be helpful to practice solving problems and applying vector calculus techniques in various contexts. Seeking out additional resources, such as online tutorials or textbooks, can also aid in understanding the subject.