1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about velocity-dependent Lagrangian involving magnetic fields

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Lagrange method does work for some velocity dependent Lagrangian. A very important
    case is a charged particle moving in a magnetic field. The magnetic field can be represented as a "curl" of a vector potential ∇B = ∇xA . A uniform magnetic field B0 corresponds to a
    vector potential ∇A = 1/2 B0 x r.

(a) Check that B0 = ∇xA
    (b) From the Lagrangian
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}+e\overline{v}.\overline{A}[/itex]
    show that the EOM derived are identical to the classical Newton's law with the Lorentz
    force F = ev x B .

2. Relevant equations
    Euler-Lagrange equations:
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{s_{j}}})[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial s_{j}}[/itex]

Triple product:
    a.(b x c)=b.(c x a)
    a x (b x c)=(a.c)b - (a.b)c

3. The attempt at a solution

For a, I have tried using the triple product:
    ∇ x A = 1/2 ∇x(Bo x r) = 1/2 [Bo(∇.r)-(∇.Bo)r]
    Since Bo is uniform, its divergence is zero and so:
    ∇ x A =1/2 Bo(∇.r)
    From here, I guess ∇.r=2 for the proof to work, but I really don't see it.

For part b, I am not even sure where to start it. As in how can I apply the E-L equations to it? What scares me the most is how exactly do I take the derivatives on a Lagrangian involving vectors.

Any help is welcome, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2
    Re: Question about velocity-dependent Lagrangian involving magnetic fi

(a) Looks like you have ∇.B where you should have B.∇ in your vector identity.

(b) The Lagrangian is still a scalar - it's just that it's been written with one piece that's a scalar product of two vectors. So just expand out that product and do Euler-Lagrange stuff as usual.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook