1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about wavenumbers and determining ?

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The normalized wavefunctions for a particle confined to move on a circle are w(o) = sqrt(1/2pi) e^-imo where m = 0, ±1, ±2, ±3... and o is between 0 and 2pi. Determine o

w = psi
    o = the o with the vertical line in the middle

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure what would be relevant in this case. I've tried e^-ix = cos x - i sin x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried to use the euler method, but I'm not sure how to solve everything to get the o on one side to solve. The answer according to the teacher is pi, but I have no idea how to get there. How do I do this?
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

We have

[tex]\psi_m (\phi ) = \frac1{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-im\phi},\qquad\mbox{ where } m=0,\pm 1,\pm 2,\ldots\mbox{ and }0\leq \phi \leq\2\pi[/tex]​

There might be something missing from your question: specifically, we are to determine [tex]\phi[/tex] under what condition? It is not normalization, for the condition that wavefunctions [tex]\psi_m (\phi)[/tex] are normalized is already met. The following proves this:

In this case, the wavefunctions [tex]\psi_m (\phi)[/tex] are normalized if, and only if

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\left|\psi_m (\phi)\right|^2 d\phi =1.[/tex]​

Indeed this is already so since

[tex]\left|\psi_m (\phi)\right|^2 = \psi_m (\phi)\psi_m^* (\phi) = \left(\frac1{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-im\phi}\right)\left(\frac1{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{im\phi}\right) =\frac1{2\pi} [/tex]​

where [tex]\psi_m^* (\phi)[/tex] denotes the complex conjugate of [tex]\psi_m (\phi)[/tex] and hence we see that

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\left|\psi_m (\phi)\right|^2 d\phi =\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac1{2\pi} d\phi=1.[/tex]​

Thus the condition of normaliztion is already met.
  4. Jan 15, 2007 #3
    I think it wants to know the expectation value for phi. The problem has phi like <phi>.
  5. Jan 16, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So how do you compute the expectation value of [itex] \varphi [/itex] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?