Question Concerning Existence/Uniqueness Theorem

• Thread starter Duderonimous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the existence and uniqueness theorem states that for a given initial condition, there exists a unique solution to the initial value problem. The equilibrium solutions for the given differential equation are y=0, y=1, and y=-3. For y>1, dy/dt is positive and y is an increasing function. Therefore, as t increases, y also increases and approaches infinity, and as t decreases, y decreases and approaches the equilibrium solution at y=1.
Duderonimous

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]=y(y-1)(y+3), y(0)=4

What does the exist/unique theorem say about the solution?

Homework Equations

Exist Theorem:

Suppose some continuous function f(t,y) goes through a rectangle. If (to,yo)is a point in the rectanglein the ty-plane, then their exist a [itex]\epsilon[/itex]>0 and func. y(t)
defined for to-[itex]\epsilon[/itex]<t<to+[itex]\epsilon[/itex]
that solves the init. val. prob.

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]=f(t,y), y(to)=yo

Unique Theorem:

Suppose f(t,y) and ∂f/∂y are continuous func. in a rectangle in the ty-plane. If (to,yo) is a point in the rectangle and if y1(t) and y2(t) are two functions that solve the initial value prob.

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]=f(t,y), y(to)=yo

for all t in to-[itex]\epsilon[/itex]<t<to+[itex]\epsilon[/itex] then
y1(t)=y2(t) for that interval.

The Attempt at a Solution

Their are 3 equilibrium solutions namely y=0,1,-3

y(t)>3 because why? I know given my initial condition that if I am starting at y=4 when t=0 I can only approach y=3. Also in the book the solution includes that
y(t) goes to 3 as t decreases and y(t) goes to infinity as t increases. Why can't it be that y(t) goes to infinity as t increases and y(t) goes to 3 as t decreases. How do I know from which way my functions going if I just know the equilib. soln. and the initial cond.?

Also If I have an initial cond. of y(0)=2 how do I know which equilibrium soln it is approaching as t increases? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, y= 0, y= 1, and y= -3 are equilibrium solutions and, by the existence and uniqueness theorem, no other solution can cross those lines. Now, for any y> 1, each of y, y- 1 and y+ 3 are positive so their product is positive. That means that dy/dt> 0 and so y is increasing in that region. If y(0)= 0, then, as t increases, y increases, going away from y= 1. But as t decreases, y also decreases- but can never cross y= 1. What does that mean?

Also in the book the solution includes that
y(t) goes to 3 as t decreases and y(t) goes to infinity as t increases. Why can't it be that y(t) goes to infinity as t increases and y(t) goes to 3 as t decreases
What? Those are the same thing. Grammatically "A and B" is the same as "B and A"! However, your book should say "1" rather than "3". There are equilibrium solutions at x= 1 and y= -3, not at y= 3.

If you meant "Why can't it be that y(t) goes to infinity as t decreases and y(t) goes to 1 as t decreases" it is because, as I said, for y> 1 dy/dt= y(y- 1)(y+ 3) is positive and so y is an increasing function not decreasing.

1. What is the Question Concerning Existence/Uniqueness Theorem?

The Question Concerning Existence/Uniqueness Theorem is a mathematical theorem that deals with the existence and uniqueness of solutions to certain types of differential equations. It states that if certain conditions are met, then there exists a unique solution to the given differential equation.

2. What types of differential equations does the theorem apply to?

The theorem applies to first-order differential equations that are in the form of dy/dx = f(x,y), where f is a continuous function. This includes many commonly used differential equations in physics and engineering.

3. What are the conditions that must be met for the theorem to apply?

The theorem requires that the function f is continuous in both variables x and y, and that it also satisfies a Lipschitz condition. This means that the derivative of f with respect to y is bounded by a constant for all values of x and y within a given interval.

4. How is the theorem used in practical applications?

The theorem is used in many practical applications to ensure that solutions to differential equations are unique and well-defined. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve real-world problems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Question Concerning Existence/Uniqueness Theorem?

Although the theorem is a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it does have some limitations. It only applies to first-order equations and does not guarantee the existence of a solution in cases where the Lipschitz condition is not satisfied. Additionally, it may not apply to more complex equations involving higher-order derivatives.