Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question Concerning Probability Systems

1. Aug 22, 2013 #1
    Does probability necessitate an underlying deterministic foundation in order to offer a degree of prediction? Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2013 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I see no way to interpret your words as a specific mathematical question. Can you give an example of a situation where your question has a definite yes-or-no answer?

The forum rules are rather sensitive to people trying to discuss philosophy. I think this comes from a revulsion to such threads popping up in the physics sessions on quantum mechanics, but such threads also tend to get closed in the math sections.

4. Aug 22, 2013 #3
    Okay, is a degree of predictive probability possible if the variables are not computable?

5. Aug 22, 2013 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You call that a specific question? What is "predictive probability"? For that matter, what is "non-predictive probability"? What's the definition of these "degrees" that you intend to measure it with?

6. Aug 22, 2013 #5
    Uh, it's kind of self-evident I would think. Predictive probability is a probability system that offers a degree of prediction. A non-predictive probability system wouldn't offer any prediction and there for by definition wouldn't be a probability system. By degree of prediction, I mean something like 1 in 20 chance of a certain outcome being possible, so on and so forth.

I'm simply asking if a probability system necessitates an underlying deterministic system for it to function properly. If not, then what causes one event to be more probable than another?

I think the answer is a resounding yes of course. Seems like a no brainer to me. However, I've met more people than I can count who either fail to understand this very simple concept or simply disagree without offering up an explanation as to why, but instead say, "I don't understand why a probability system would necessitate an underlying deterministic system".

7. Aug 23, 2013 #6
    Problem solved then?

8. Aug 23, 2013 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think it is more likely that you are the one who fails "to understand this very simple concept". I can certainly postulate a "probability system" which has 3 possible outcomes, A, B, and C, where the probability of outcome A is 1/2, the probability of putcome B is 1/4, and the provability of outcome C is 1/4. What is the "underlying deterministic system" there?

9. Aug 23, 2013 #8

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is this a mathematics question or a physics question? "Underlying deterministic" is a physics concept. Mathematical probability starts with Kolmogoroff axioms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook