1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question from last year's topology exam

1. Mar 17, 2007 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Question 1 says "Is the bouquet* of two 2-spheres a surface"?

How does this question even makes sense? A surface is a paracompact Hausdorff 2-manifold w/o boundaries, and a manifold is a topological space plus an atlas. Here, no atlas is provided!

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouquet_of_spheres#Examples

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You use the 'obvious' one. Let me put it this way - is S^2, the sphere a surface? Of cousre it is, but you would deny it was.

A surface is something that is locally 2-d. The bouquet of two circles is homeomorphic to the sphere S^2 with the equator squeezed to a point. I would say it was moot if that was s surface. It is obviously not a smoorth surface, and I susepct your question is implicitly assuming smoothness. I.e. smooth (orientable) surfaces are characterized up to homeomorphism by genus.

I think you're better off talking to the person who set the exam to ask them what they're getting at.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?